What do you add to your soil
mcdood Offline
(05-02-2021, 07:59 PM)JJB Wrote:  My supply of horse manure is rather seedy so it goes into the compost bins and I hope for the best.

Me too but hope is never enough Wink
[-] The following 4 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Spec

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Homemade compost and ash from the woodburner. Normally we have plenty of compst because we bring back compostable material from clients' gardens, but I won't have enough to mulch everywhere this year.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Spec Offline
(05-02-2021, 06:08 PM)Eyren Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 04:18 PM)Spec Wrote: also recommended is rock dust which adds various minerals

Rock dust is mostly calcium carbonate, so best avoided if you have alkaline soil like mine.

"For home gardeners, rock dust is a waste of money and natural resources."  https://www.gardenmyths.com/rock-dust-re...ize-earth/
Eyren, when I add compost to the garden I add rock dust with it, I have never thought that it was solitary feed, actually I agree with the reminiralising idea as there have been several studies showing that the mineral content of food over the last 50/60 years has dropped quite a bit, possibly not to the same level with home grown food, but there is a change, I think the trials shown were geared to give a predicted result, I might be wrong but I have never read anywhere that the rock dust is the only addition that's needed for your soil, actually it has been recommended that you scatter it over your compost and add to your wormeries, also they say you are wasting your money buying it, I can get it for nothingBig Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man