2021 plan
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Another slight change to my plan. I’ve now added onions, a second variety of cabbage & chard to my grow list. And I’ll be using 3 beds, not 2 . The additional bed is the smallest in the garden. Veg quantities are still being kept small.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I just seem to be adding more flowers at the moment - my mason bees are due in a couple of weeks and I'm as anxious as a new mum! It doesn't help that they hatch at random, so I need to make sure there are flowers around every month so that they can feed when they emerge.

Oh, and I did buy a bunch of new lettuces from Vital Seeds. I'd been wanting to get Grenoble Red for ages because everyone raves about it, and they had some really cool varieties with names like "Elf Ears Oak" and "Really Red Deer Tongue". All organic and open-pollinated Smile
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Spec Offline
(05-03-2021, 07:48 PM)Eyren Wrote: Oh, and I did buy a bunch of new lettuces from Vital Seeds. I'd been wanting to get Grenoble Red for ages because everyone raves about it, and they had some really cool varieties with names like "Elf Ears Oak" and "Really Red Deer Tongue". All organic and open-pollinated Smile
I have tried a number of different varieties of lettuce but to be honest I have never found any great difference in taste, other than what you get between new growth and old growth
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Eyren, JJB

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(05-03-2021, 09:08 PM)Spec Wrote: I have tried a number of different varieties of lettuce but to be honest I have never found any great difference in taste, other than what you get between new growth and old growth

I don't expect much difference in flavour, but it's nice to have some variety of texture and colour, especially if they also look pretty in the garden. I mostly grow cos/romaine, as I like the crunchiness (and Mr E like caesar salad), rather than the butterhead type that was the only lettuce we seemed to get when I was a kid.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Small chilli, Spec

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
On a general note, Red lettuce and other red leaves are less attractive to slugs than green ones................sure I've read that somewhere. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Eyren, Small chilli, Spec

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(06-03-2021, 04:28 PM)Veggie Wrote: On a general note, Red lettuce and other red leaves are less attractive to slugs than green ones................sure I've read that somewhere. Smile

That may be why my red romaine did so well!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eyren's post:
  • Veggie

Spec Offline
You are right Veggie, slugs don't go for red cabbage the way they go for the green ones
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Small chilli, Veggie