Cumin, Coriander and Caraway seeds
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(24-01-2021, 12:10 PM)JJB Wrote: I like the leaves and always end up with the seedy one.  Prob best as P hates it like Vinny.
Nice to know I am not alone! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
The only coriander I can get to produce leaves is sown in the autumn  - it seems to overwinter well, producing lots of leaf in the spring. Anything sown after  about March just goes straight to seed, which is fine as I collect a good jar full each year, for eating and sowing. I haven't bought seed for a while, so guess I'm effectively selecting for seed production!
Caraway - horrid stuff Smile
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I suspect I would need to cover these if I grew then as there are too many birds that eat seeds round about. I grew some coriander once and went on holiday when seeds were nearly ripe but they were all gone when I came back 7 days later.
I put some bird seed out and there must be at least 30 birds that visit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve grown coriander for seeds. I dried them on the plant, then dried them some more. Put them in a spice jar and they went mouldy. Obviously they needed considerable more drying. I’ll have another go.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
My coriander bolted last year, so I picked the seeds green and used them in curry.

This year I bought some Nigella sativa seeds, often referred to as "black cumin" although they're not related - the flowers look a lot like regular nigella but white rather than blue. They're known as kalonji in Indian cooking - I like them in a mix with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic granules and onion flakes as a sprinkle on salads, avocado toast, etc.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just picking up this thread and giving it a shake as I've been sorting my herb seed stash and found numerous packets of coriander seeds. I'm thinking of sowing (chucking) them under the fruit bushes as ground cover - a sort of edible mulch/green manure.
I've no idea what a patch of coriander looks like - only seen it in pots. If left to go to seed maybe it would self seed for the following year?
Any thoughts?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve had coriander self seed before. It self seeded under the weed fabric I cover beds with in winter.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Coriander definitely self seeds if you let it. Most of those I've grown have been 3ft tall and bolt like billy-oh. A bit like dill which does the same thing for me. Never managed to grow a short leafy variety of either.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Farendwoman Offline
I like the taste of green coriander seeds before they’re dried.
Also, as an aside I’ve got dill popping up in the pots of dead stuff lying around.
Must throw out the dead stuff once I’ve saved the, little dill seedlings
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Bren Offline
My coriander selfseeds I usually leave them to grow so long as it’s not in the way.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny