Dried beans cooking lessons
Broadway Offline
(12-10-2021, 06:54 PM)JJB Wrote: Danny, twas I that bumped it! Big Grin
Veggie, freezer space is in short supply so dried beans are more suitable. Bean burgers?? No thanks, not an any sort of burger fan but I may resort to that eventually and call them rissoles/patties. Thanks for the inspiration.

I thought I might try this one some day.
https://healthyhappylife.com/tuscan-styl...eans-with/
Sorry JenSmileSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile

Bren Offline
I've made this a few times using different types of beans and homegrown toms.

https://veggiedesserts.com/spanish-beans-tomatoes/
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Burgers, rissoles, patties, sausages, balls, cutlets, fingers, loaf etc............all fancy names for a dollop of stuff in a particular shape. The contents of the "stuff" can be anything that holds its shape.
If you say "burger" or "sausage" to many people, it conjures up something made with meat, possibly in a bread roll. They're just "shapes". A "finger" doesn't have to be made from fish - you could have bean fingers or bean balls!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I like combining mashed and partly mashed beans in burgers/rissoles to give a better texture, and lobbing in raw grated beetroot is great!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(12-10-2021, 07:12 PM)Bren Wrote: I've made this a few times using different types of beans and homegrown toms.

https://veggiedesserts.com/spanish-beans-tomatoes/
Hi Bren
Looks similar to a Rick Stein recipe I'm looking forward to trying with my gigantes beansSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Bren, JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I dried my very first crop of beans in the dehydrator last night. I’m going to store them as Scarlet suggested in an open jar covered by kitchen roll. Here’s hoping I’ve not over dried them  Huh . I was very tempted to go with veggie’s suggestion of putting them straight into the freezer. With no need for rehydration. But my pressure cooker arrives next week with a friend ( picked it up in a charity shop for me  Cool ). 

Now I’m off to find a new bean recipe to try. But I’m very tempted to have bean chilli again I really liked that .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Hodmedods has lots of bean recipes - here's one collection for haricot beans https://hodmedods.co.uk/blogs/recipes/ta...icot-beans
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I found a small handful of last years dried white beans so soaked overnight and pressured for 10 minutes with onion, stock etc. They were lovely. They got added to a small batch of meat chilli I had in the freezer to make it go further. Next stop a bean something without the tomato base. I'm also debating whether to mix up all the varieties or keep them separate
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-10-2021, 09:33 AM)Veggie Wrote: Hodmedods has lots of bean recipes  - here's one collection for haricot beans  https://hodmedods.co.uk/blogs/recipes/ta...icot-beans

Thanks veggie. Some of them look really good. I’ve got to put beetroot back on the growing list for next time I grow things (I nearly said next year, that’s not guaranteed)

(14-10-2021, 09:38 AM)JJB Wrote: I found a small handful of last years dried white beans so soaked overnight and pressured for 10 minutes with onion, stock etc. They were lovely. They got added to a small batch of meat chilli I had in the freezer to make it go further. Next stop a bean something without the tomato base. I'm also debating whether to mix up all the varieties or keep them separate
I’ve mixed all mine. Something I may regret! But I am sad enough to separate them later if I really want/need to  Blush Rolleyes
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(14-10-2021, 10:09 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(14-10-2021, 09:33 AM)Veggie Wrote: Hodmedods has lots of bean recipes  - here's one collection for haricot beans  https://hodmedods.co.uk/blogs/recipes/ta...icot-beans

Thanks veggie. Some of them look really good. I’ve got to put beetroot back on the growing list for next time I grow things (I nearly said next year, that’s not guaranteed)

(14-10-2021, 09:38 AM)JJB Wrote: I found a small handful of last years dried white beans so soaked overnight and pressured for 10 minutes with onion, stock etc. They were lovely. They got added to a small batch of meat chilli I had in the freezer to make it go further. Next stop a bean something without the tomato base. I'm also debating whether to mix up all the varieties or keep them separate
I’ve mixed all mine. Something I may regret! But I am sad enough to separate them later if I really want/need to  Blush Rolleyes

There's something very therapeutic about sorting no matter what it is, buttons, lego, beans. It might have a calming effect on you SC when talking to solicitors. Smile in Veggie's case it's seeds.  Tongue
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie