Extra early potatoes
Jimny14 Offline
Potato update. I have now transferred potato in garage to a grow bag and cobbled some stronger staging together to keep it higher up in the light. They are growing well and are now fully topped up with soil.
The spuds in the cold frame are up but not big enough to be earthed up yet. I planted some in open ground last week and hope the frosts have gone by the time they come up.
[-] The following 7 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
My first earlies are well up n the poly tunnel, zone of the leaves got a dart of frost last week where they were sticking out under the fleece but I think they are ok. I have 2nd earlies and main crop in the garden they are still underground no greenery yet. Which is good considering last weeks frosts. From what I can see now we’re overthe frosts-now in Kildare but I’ll still close the doors at night. Overnight temp tonight is 7-9’C so they should all be ok.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Jimny14, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
just an update, tonight I dug 2 stalks of some rogue Nicola spuds I had transplanted into a dedicated raised bed for rogues. They were looking better than my Sharps Express that I had planted in a separate raised bed. Anyway see for yourself

Looking forward to having them for dinner tomorrow
[-] The following 5 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, JJB, mcdood, Veggie

Spec Offline
lifted my early potatoes today and very disaponted most were no show, so when I cleared the soil away a number of them were rotten, no patern to the loss as those that were growing were spread over the bed, not just the sides where they could possibly have been caught by the cold
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Had my first potatoes with green cabbage/kale from the tunnel with onions  and a burger for dinner. They were beautiful and floury and tasted divine

[-] The following 4 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Bren, JJB, mcdood, Spec

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Dug a few rogue potato plants and got this crop from 4. 
Rogue plants are potatoes that started to grow in other beds from potatoes that were missed last year so I dug them up and transplanted them into a separate raised bed in the tunnel. 
They have been super and the flavour magnificent texture lovely and floury. 

[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway, Jimny14