Vaccine roll out.
Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(17-02-2021, 04:51 PM)Moth Wrote: Pfizer though. Sad Didn't really want that one as it's so genetically engineered

Speaking as a scientist who works in genomics, the mRNA vaccine isn't (technically speaking) genetically engineered, because it's an exact copy of the spike protein sequence.

Genetic engineering is when you change an organism's DNA sequence to produce a desired effect, like inserting the gene for insulin into bacteria in order to make it in huge quantities. Which is of course a good thing, since extracting insulin from pig pancreas is expensive.

Rather, the Pfizer vaccine is synthesised from its component chemicals, as are almost all drugs. It just happens to be made from some of the same building blocks as DNA, instead of being a completely invented molecule. In fact I'd argue that makes it more "natural" than most drugs out there Big Grin

(FWIW, I'm not keen on GMO crops, but that's more because they're grown in open fields where they can potentially escape, or interbreed with wild species, which could be disastrous for the environment. "Brewing" insulin in a vat is a much safer use of the technology, IMHO.)
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 10 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Bren, Jay, JJB, MartinH, Moth, Proserpina, Scarlet, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Fascinating, Eyren. Thank you. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Eyren, Moth

Spec Offline
OH got the AZ and I got the Pfizer, son said he would see who keeled over first before deciding which one to takeRolleyes
[-] The following 5 users Like Spec's post:
  • Eyren, Jay, Moth, Proserpina, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(17-02-2021, 06:51 PM)Spec Wrote: OH got the AZ and I got the Pfizer, son said he would see who keeled over first before deciding which one to takeRolleyes
SmileSmileSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Spec

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
That's reassuring Mark and Eyren. Thank you Smile
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moth's post:
  • Eyren

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(17-02-2021, 06:54 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(17-02-2021, 06:51 PM)Spec Wrote: OH got the AZ and I got the Pfizer, son said he would see who keeled over first before deciding which one to takeRolleyes
SmileSmileSmile

Sounds like a plan, but round here you don't get a choice
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
I had the AZ...just pleased to be done....well part done
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Broadway, Jay, Proserpina, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Just found out that OH and I will get our jab tomorrow morning at 11.20am. OH was due hers earlier but we were snowed in at the time.
No idea which one we are getting?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 7 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Eyren, Jay, MartinH, Proserpina, Scarlet, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I had mine on Friday last. The AZ one, I felt shivery, hot and cold that evening and felt a bit fragile the next day. OH had Pfizer and no side effects at all. The after effects would not put me off having either vaccine. I'm all in favour of the herd immunity that hopefully the vaccine will give us.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Jay, Proserpina, Veggie

Jay Offline
OH gets his on Thursday.
West of Scotland
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie