Planting partnerships to avoid
Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I agree, I always grew cabbages and kales beside my spuds.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Spec Offline
I was unaware of this as well Mamzie, but apparently marigolds give off a chemical that suppresses growth in some plants especially brassica and beans, the effect is called allelopathy and though the effect can stay in the soil for up to a year but adding compost to the soil increases the biological activity which will break down the chemical, you could ofcourse grow marigolds in pots close to the beans etc. as it's the roots which give out the chemical
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Mamzie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I grew up bunging anything in wherever there was a space...........and I still do.Wink
Companion planting, like crop rotation, implies planning and I really can't cope with planning.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Spec

Spec Offline
That's a surprising statement Veggie, I never thought thatRolleyesBig Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
I feel very shocked now - I can't possible let Mr M think he is right... will have to quietly plant poached egg plants there later this year instead Smile x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 2 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(17-01-2021, 08:42 PM)Spec Wrote: I was unaware of this as well Mamzie, but apparently marigolds give off a chemical that suppresses growth in some plants especially brassica and beans, the effect is called allelopathy and though the effect can stay in the soil for up to a year but adding compost to the soil increases the biological activity which will break down the chemical, you could ofcourse grow marigolds in pots close to the beans etc. as it's the roots which give out the chemical

I was unaware of this - maybe that's why my cavalo nero didn't do so well, given I planted some pot marigolds and French marigolds in nearby gaps!

The main one I pay attention to is alliums right next to legumes, for the same reason - allium roots give off chemicals that can affect legume roots, maybe because alliums are naturally antibacterial and they affect the nitrogen-fixing bacteria?

I think this year I may sow my marigolds along by the fence a couple of metres from my veg beds, where they will only have the new lawn and rose bush to compete with!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec