Aubergines 2021
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
3 out of 4 Kermit were up this morning  Cool . I’m growing aubergine again, from seed. It’s exciting    Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Eyren, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Plenty of Long Purple up and the first Violette di firenze has joined the party.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Eyren, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I've not had any luck with aubergines in the past, so I'm hedging my bets this year. I bought some Black Beauty seeds from Seedaholic, then I got a £10 voucher from Sarah Raven so I ordered 4 seedlings (two Moneymaker No2 and two Slim Jim) which will arrive in April.

Hopefully our new conservatory with the fancy UV-filtering glass will be a more even temperature and not kill everything I put in there!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I have the following aub seedlings all freebie seeds, recently transplanted into their own pots.
3 x versiba 3
1 x long purple
1 x black beauty

Germination wasn't great with any of them which us just as well, as the 'one' chilli I was going to grow has turned into at least 10 (some will have to be culled - agonising choice ahead) Sad my own fault.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, PyreneesPlot

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-02-2021, 01:56 PM)JJB Wrote: I have the following aub seedlings all freebie seeds, recently transplanted into their own pots.
3 x versiba 3
1 x long purple
1 x black beauty

Germination wasn't great with any of them which us just as well, as the 'one' chilli I was going to grow has turned into at least 10 (some will have to be culled - agonising choice ahead) Sad my own fault.
Ha ha I knew you could stop at one.........of anything  Big Grin
Don’t cull any of your spare plants until you’ve offered them on your local social media groups or how ever you you move on stuff you no longer need.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(09-02-2021, 01:54 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 01:56 PM)JJB Wrote: I have the following aub seedlings all freebie seeds, recently transplanted into their own pots.
3 x versiba 3
1 x long purple
1 x black beauty

Ha ha I knew you could stop at one.........of anything  Big Grin
Don’t cull any of your spare plants until you’ve offered them on your local social media groups or how ever you you move on stuff you no longer need.
I'm unlikely to cull anything really, neighbours usually run when they see me coming with straggly tomato plants, now they'll have a surprise with chillies.  If a seedling is alive it usually gets a pot and an inappropriate place.  I can see me experimenting with outdoor chillies , aubs and peppers.  I have 3 neighbours  with GHs but none serious gardeners.  Social media?  What's that Smile Perhaps I'll join a local horti society, but there's never time to be sociable in the spring and summer.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Ooh, I like your thinking! I’m going to start using my garden as an excuse for me being unsociable. Obviously it may be to late. Everyone already knows I’m unsociable  Big Grin .
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
My aubergine babies are doing well.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Aubergines.

Do they need the side shoots to be pinched out? Some pundits say yes, others say no. Even the freebie seed pkt said no, but the magazine instructions for the same variety said yes. I have a feeling it's a matter of personal choice. What's the panel say?
Greetings from Salisbury

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I don't, just let them grow into a bush. But I am growing outdoors and don't have to worry about space or trying to force a crop.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB