Green roofs
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Anyone got a green roof ?
I’m considering doing one on a shed on the new site. So won’t be happening for a while.
I’d like to grow the plants for it myself from seed or cuttings. Any recommendations for varieties? I know sedum is very popular for the job but I’ve no idea which ones. 
I was also thinking creeping thyme and varieties of hawkbits would be good. 
Also suggestions on cheap construction materials. I think I’ve an idea on how I’m doing this, but I’d like your input. Fairly high chance you’ll come up with something I’ve not thought of.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Grow some House leeks to protect your shed from lightning.
As for construction, no idea but it needs to be strong to carry the weight of wet soil and plants.
A friend down west covered his leanto roof with plants and it looked fantastic but he needed a ladder for maintenance and weeding out the stray plants that grew there from seeds dropped by birds.

Goggle found this https://www.turfonline.co.uk/blog/top-te...of-plants/
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
If done properly they are good insulation. Cool I have a white roof at present, with over six inches of snow falling last night. Cry
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(08-01-2021, 12:11 PM)Veggie Wrote: Grow some House leeks to protect your shed from lightning.
As for construction, no idea but it needs to be strong to carry the weight of wet soil and plants.
A friend down west covered his leanto roof with plants and it looked fantastic but he needed a ladder for maintenance and weeding out the stray plants that grew there from seeds dropped by birds.

Goggle found this https://www.turfonline.co.uk/blog/top-te...of-plants/

That’s a great link thank you 
(08-01-2021, 12:38 PM)Vinny Wrote: If done properly they are good insulation. Cool I have a white roof at present, with over six inches of snow falling last night. Cry
Ha ha glad I don’t live anywhere that cold  Tongue . I’m off to play in the sunshine
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
I have a green roof on my house, but some how I don't think you mean moss covered tilesBig Grin
But if you are considering a green roof you really need to have strong joists, when I built my extension 8 X 2 joists that size was required to take the weight of any potential snow fall so I think the minimum thickness of joists would be 6X2 and I would think it would also require 4 X 4 uprights or a metal framed shed and another possibility is a small shipping container, as for plants, you can buy rolls of low growing sedum or you could buy some suitable sedum seeds and sow them in shallow trays
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Small chilli