2021 - What I did today
Spec Offline
(20-02-2021, 08:13 PM)Admin Wrote: Can

Walla walla are avery sweet globe onion, Americans grow a lot, taste nice and can be eaten like an apple. Downside is they start to rot about 4 weeks after lifting

Sorry Boss, my Walla Walla onions lasted several months, not sure just how long as they were mix in with other varieties, but had them strung up and hanging in the hut and have not had any rotting, actually checked the ones that are still hanging today and though not many left they are all OK
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Set up my heat bench in the greenhouse! Woohoo Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, PyreneesPlot, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
Moved some rose bushes, then was going to hoe the bed where I will be planting my potatoes, I had left it without planting anything since lifting my onions, there was quite a lot of grass growing over it but no seed heads, so decided to cover the ground with cardboard and hopefully, if restriction are eased, I will be able to collect some seaweed and use that to cover the cardboard.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Managed to find a long enough gap between rain to clean out the chooks and feed Mr Greedy with a bucket of their bedding.
Dug up some unwanted raspberry canes but the soil was too heavy to do much.
Wandered around spotting daffodils - 8 big ones in flower and 3 clumps of dwarf daffs. There'll be plenty for St David next week.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Spec, Vinny

Roitelet Offline
Dug 6 trenches where the beans will be grown and buried last years moss from the grass ( we don’t have lawns) in the bottom to act as a sponge. Gets rid of it as the blooming stuff never seems to rot!
[-] The following 4 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie, Vinny

Admin Offline
The Boss
(20-02-2021, 10:09 PM)Spec Wrote:

Walla walla are avery sweet globe onion, Americans grow a lot, taste nice and can be eaten like an apple. Downside is they start to rot about 4 weeks after lifting

Sorry Boss, my Walla Walla onions lasted several months, not sure just how long as they were mix in with other varieties, but had them strung up and hanging in the hut and have not had any rotting, actually checked the ones that are still hanging today and though not many left they are all OK
Pleased for you Spec Smile my reply was based on RHS advice. Just goes to show they are not always right Wink
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Finished pruning and general tidying - grasses, apple trees, gaura, buddleja all ready for the year. Just have to split one grass this week.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Roitelet, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Walked the dog,made and ate the Sunday dinner, did a bit of tidying up in the house then took delivery of an antique Tallboy purchased  from eBay. Cool

After that I went to the allotment to try and get summat done while the weather was bright. Had a busy couple of hours at plot then came home to give my dog its second walk of the day.

Whilst walking the dog I spotted one of my neighbours taking down about 10 metres of fence palings that had been damaged when a car slid down the bank in the recent frosty weather. I asked him whether he had a use for the wood and offered to take it off his hands to chop up and use on my woodburner. To be honest I was quite knackered and could have done without the hassle late in the day. Rolleyes

Never mind, about five heaped wheelbarrow loads of wood later and half a dozen long spars (which I can use on the roof of the lean to shed I am building at the top of the garden) I had it all shifted. I just need a dry day now to get the chainsaw out and chop it up. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
This morning we were Clearing the ditch that runs along the front of the plot. This afternoon Bob was looking for old clay drains on the plot. I was playing with a whacker plate across the road on a bit of ground where we’ll be dumping gravel until we have a driveway and can dump it on our plot.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
(21-02-2021, 07:25 PM)Admin Wrote:
(20-02-2021, 10:09 PM)Spec Wrote:

Pleased for you Spec Smile my reply was based on RHS advice. Just goes to show they are not always right Wink

As I have sown more walla walla seeds I will make sure I keep them separate this year and let you know how well they store
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man