2021 - What I did today
Roitelet Offline
Recycled all the compost from the late potato pots, added more sand and some general purpose fertilizer and will plant carrots in it, in pots. Did the same with the carrot compost but added leaf mould and fertilizer then bagged it up for future use. Mixed fresh compost and planted early potatoes in pots.
[-] The following 5 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Mark_Riga, Veggie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
With Mr E's help (because he volunteered!), finally installed the down pipe and rainwater diverter on my shed guttering and attached it to the new water butt, and put up a blue tit box behind the shed.

Deadheaded the violas in one of the hanging baskets (they're still going strong!), and surveyed the areas where I planted tulip bulbs last autumn. A decent number are coming up, along with lots of crocuses, and the snowdrops I bought "in the green" are settling in really well too.

I also checked my wormery - thankfully there are quite a few worms still alive, despite the cold snap! - and gave them some weeds and cardboard and covered them up with a fresh moisture mat. After I've had my cup of tea I'll put up the wire spiral of nesting material in the front garden for the robins and others to raid when they're ready.

It's so good to be out in the garden again, getting things ready for the new growing year!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I planted onion sets in among my cabbages I also planted 1/2 a raised bed with onion sets. Then I transplanted my tomato seedlings from the propogator into individual pots, have both window sills in the bathroom now full of tomato plants. I also transplanted some gerkin seedlings, the wife bought them thinking they were mini cucumbers well I suppose they are. I hate the flipping things but I planted 6 seeds and within 2 weeks we have seedlings. Then I planted 2 x 24 modules of marigolds seeds. Great to have a bit of warmth now, it was about 14’C in the tunnel.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 4 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Eyren, Mark_Riga, Scarlet, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
Forgot to mention the other thing I did today, which was to order pea and bean supports and a couple of tomato grow-houses for the patio. After everything going out of stock last year because of all the newbie gardeners in lockdown, I wanted to get in there early. Some additional fripperies, e.g. solar powered lights for the conservatory, may have fallen into my shopping cart on the way to the checkout Big Grin

The aluminium supports were expensive, but last year we had problems with sagging cane structures sticking out at eye-level along the path where Mr E goes to get his bike out, so I thought it worth the investment to avoid a trip to the (still very overworked) A&E department!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Spec Offline
Planted some onion sets and shallots into modules and sowed some walla walla onion seeds
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(20-02-2021, 06:35 PM)Spec Wrote: Planted some onion sets and shallots into modules and sowed some walla walla onion seeds
Hey Spec what is a Walla walla onion seed ?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Spec

Spec Offline
Was having a search for a "have a moan" thread but couldn't find one
I ordered 2 lots of ten fuchsia, one of 10 uprite/bush fuchsia and the other 10 from a different supplier of trailing fuchsia, I received them today bother sets from the same supplier, and rather than 20 different varieties I only have 10 as they are all doubles. Though I must say they look in very good condition and I now have them all potted up, after doing that I have spent a bit of time trying to identify 3 of them which I haven't came across but no luck yet, so now going to hunt for themSmile
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Scarlet

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Tipped out two of the lily pots intending to just replace the compost, but instead ended up with three large and six small pots with lily bulbs!
Planted up more pots with dahlias - I ordered 3 Catherine Deneuve and there were 9 in the bag, the 2 each of Dracula and French Cancan both had 5! Merci mille fois à graines de Baumaux Smile I also planted up three tubers from cuttings taken last year.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Scarlet, Spec

Admin Offline
The Boss
Can

Walla walla are avery sweet globe onion, Americans grow a lot, taste nice and can be eaten like an apple. Downside is they start to rot about 4 weeks after lifting
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(20-02-2021, 08:13 PM)Admin Wrote: Can

Walla walla are avery sweet globe onion, Americans grow a lot, taste nice and can be eaten like an apple. Downside is they start to rot about 4 weeks after lifting
Thanks Boss, never heard of them before, must have a look for them.