2021 grow list
Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Bad or Sad news for me today, Joy from Sea Spring Plants who I had ordered my chilli and pepper plug plants from wrote to me saying because of BREXIT restrictions she cannot send me my plants and would have to refund me my money. I did try growing a few chillies myself from seeds but as I don’t have a heated propogator or proper lighting system they didn’t grow. No chilli plants for me this year Sad Angry
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Small chilli

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I will need to see if I can find an Irish grower/supplier of chilli plug plants for the future
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
You don’t need lights or heated propagator. They just help.
Sow your seed in a little pot put a clean bag over it with an electric band & put it on the sunniest window sill you’ve got.
Do the same as above but use the top half of a fizzy drinks bottle.
Put your seeds on damp kitchen roll in a plastic bag & in the airing cupboard or on top of your fridge. Once germinated transfer to one of the above options.
It’s not to late for some of the milder chilli varieties to still produce a crop this year, if sown now. And you definitely can’t use light levels as an excuse now. Have another go.
I’ll be sowing more jalapeños at the start of May.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Sad news Can, but as SC says have a go, you've got nothing to lose except a few seeds if it doesn't work out (and perhaps joining the 'windowsill wars' club) Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've potted on Razzamatazz and she has baby chillies. She's got pride of place on the kitchen windowsill with no wars in sight. A win win situation. Thank you Scarlet for the seed swap.
My thought is what am I going to do with all the chillies if all the 10 ish plants I've got thrive. Thank goodness for the freezer.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(21-04-2021, 08:12 AM)Small chilli Wrote: You don’t need lights or heated propagator. They just help.
Sow your seed in a little pot put a clean bag over it with an electric band & put it on the sunniest window sill you’ve got.
Do the same as above but use the top half of a fizzy drinks bottle.
Put your seeds on damp kitchen roll in a plastic bag & in the airing cupboard or on top of your fridge. Once germinated transfer to one of the above options.
It’s not to late for some of the milder chilli varieties to still produce a crop this year, if sown now. And you definitely can’t use light levels as an excuse now.  Have another go.
I’ll be sowing more jalapeños at the start of May.
Thanks SC

toomanytommytoes Offline
If you have an Aldi near you they should start selling chillies and peppers some time in May. No where near as wide a range of choice as SeaSpring, but at least it's something. Lidl may do the same but I don't have one nearby. Garden centres will have plants in too.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Cayenne peppers grow fast. I would sow some now and keep them warm to get them started quick.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Thanks everybody for your support and ideas I might try a few garden centres tomorrow, today is spud planting Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
SC, does the electric band play music to the plants so they grow faster?
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli