Is there any point
Jimny14 Offline
As part of my garden redesign in the veg patch it will open up the east side of the shed. I am considering putting a small lean to greenhouse on it. The only problem is on the south side it will be bordered tightly by a 5ft fence. Is there much point putting a small greenhouse on as it will only be a few feet deep and only open aspects are north and east.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
That’s tricky. My initial instinct is to say yes put a lean to up. Unfortunately I can’t really back that statement up with a reason for my instinct.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14, JJB

Spec Offline
What else would you use the space for, if you don't know put up your lean to greenhouse you will always have a use for that whither it's growing or hardening off, protecting plants, or simply because you want to, so yes get it builtSmile
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
My largest GH is in an awful position between 2 houses (N & S) and behind the garage (W) so the only sun it gets is from the E and not at this time of year when the sun rises SE.
Before you ask ?Why put it there? I was gifted it by the neighbour and I had an area of paving there that was big enough for it.
I have grown tomatoes in it because it gets overhead sun in summer.
Mostly, I use it for seed sowing, bringing on cuttings and overwintering..............and as a junk store!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Go for it, anywhere with a bit of cover is useful.......but just don't spend too much on it Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Would there be room for staging about 3' high against the shed with cold frames on top? They could be used for hardening off stuff then cucumber, squash or melons? Someone clever could probably divert water from the shed roof to minimise watering. You could may be do the same in a greenhouse.

Depends what you were thinking of using it for. I don't think tomatoes would thrive planted near the ground in that situation.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Jimny14 Offline
Thanks guys, much appreciated.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Outside the Box thinking.........................move the shed into the shady corner. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga

Spec Offline
(21-12-2020, 10:39 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Would there be room for staging about 3' high against the shed with cold frames on top? They could be used for hardening off stuff then cucumber, squash or melons? Someone clever could probably divert water from the shed roof to minimise watering. You could may be do the same in a greenhouse.

Depends what you were thinking of using it for. I don't think tomatoes would thrive planted near the ground in that situation.
Mark I have grown tomatoes in a shaded greenhouse I think heat is more important than sunlight
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14