Recommendations - Gloves and Secateurs Please
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(13-12-2020, 05:09 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I like Fiskars secateurs. I have a ratchet action pair which are good for when my hands are sore, plus a bright yellow pair which, in theory,  I shouldn't lose too often. I've  had quite a few pairs now.

PP, do you find ratchet ones easier to grip/close?  You mention sore hands, I find my existing bypass secateurs are becoming difficult as I have small hands and arthritis developing  in my knuckles (it's a devil getting old) so clenching can hurt.  Are ratchet ones the answer?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Spec Offline
I have a pair of ratchet secatures and I suppose they are a bit easier to work but still require a bit of pressure, if you are having difficulty squeezing something with your hands I would suggest looking for a small good quality pruning saw less pressure on the joints and easier for pruning those slightly thicker branches, once I get old that what I will be using
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(14-12-2020, 11:10 AM)JJB Wrote:
(13-12-2020, 05:09 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I like Fiskars secateurs. I have a ratchet action pair which are good for when my hands are sore, plus a bright yellow pair which, in theory,  I shouldn't lose too often. I've  had quite a few pairs now.

PP, do you find ratchet ones easier to grip/close?  You mention sore hands, I find my existing bypass secateurs are becoming difficult as I have small hands and arthritis developing  in my knuckles (it's a devil getting old) so clenching can hurt.  Are ratchet ones the answer?

Yes I do, JJB that's why I have them as I have rheumatoid arthritis with some joint damage in my thumbs and little fingers. But the cut is much less clean so any pruning that needs a really sharp cut gets done with conventional ones. The ratchet ones do allow me to work longer.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've just bought some Felco No 4 secateurs from TFSR Cymru  This pair actually! https://www.tfsrcymru.org.uk/tool-sales/...79PgI9RsKY
Its a fantastic charity and they have some amazing tools for sale. I've bought a few things from them at festivals and given them tools too.
If you're looking for refurbished garden and DIY tools try this place first.Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 8 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Moth, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
They popped up on my fb feed  Smile . They do have some fantastic old tools in sometimes.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
That's where I saw them too and remembered that Felco's had been recommended on here - so I flashed my card.Big Grin
I need to train the dogs to find my secateurs in the garden - Bess & Ted are really good at finding hidden balls and sticks so I'm sure they could find secateurs too. Spud is a lazy so and so and watches.Wink
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, mcdood, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I use Felcos. I love them. I've had them for 20 years and use them all the time.

Globe I use "town and country" they are leather ones that my garden centre stock. I like to try them on as I have all hands and don't like the fingers too long! I like leather ones if I'm doing brambles/ roses etc. all the rest of my gardening I do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
How do you get on with leather gloves when they get wet, muddy and crusty? I had some that became so hard I couldn't bend the fingers. For gloves I stick to cheap rubber dipped elastic wrist cheapo ones, they give a better tactile feedback. Sometimes even resort to rubber gloves for delicate work but do have leather gauntlets for thorny escapades.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I wear 2 pairs of gloves if doing thorny work - a thicker rubbery pair outside and a thinner pair underneath for delicate work. Easy to peel off the thick ones when not needed.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I can't use rubber gloves - they make my hands sweat and are no good for thorns. I don't wear gloves for day to day gardening. Big elbow length welders glovers for brambles - those cheap big things. My small leather gloves for pruning roses.

They do go hard if wet but soon soften with wear?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB