Looking for some guidance
Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
When you say no heat, are they still spicy please? I like sweet peppers, just never tried hot ones. My son loves sweet chilli sauce, so thinking of trying to make some this year x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 2 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Spec Offline
Sc do you grow all your peppers in containers or do you plant any directly into the soil and if mixed what is the reason for mixed growing methods, you may have answered this question in the past, but I haven't come across itSmile
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Small chilli, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(02-12-2020, 12:52 AM)Small chilli Wrote: I can highly recommend for no heat, Padron,

I am intrigued by this as it is far from our experience!

There is a saying about them unos pican otros no, something along the lines of some are hot and some are not! I served our first harvest the traditional way, fried whole with salt for dipping for a starter, and wondered if we'd get the one in ten that are quite hot. Well we had a 100% hit rate and found them far too hot to munch whole. And I like heat and use at least one fatalii for a 2 person chili!

I've grown them often since and the percentage is always more hot than not, I wonder why?
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Small chilli, Vinny

Spec Offline
(02-01-2021, 04:22 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 12:52 AM)Small chilli Wrote: I can highly recommend for no heat, Padron,

There is a saying about them unos pican otros no, something along the lines of some are hot and some are not! I served our first harvest the traditional way, fried whole with salt for dipping for a starter, and wondered if we'd get the one in ten that are quite hot. Well we had a 100% hit rate and found them far too hot to munch whole. And I like heat and use at least one fatalii for a 2 person chili!

I've grown them often since and the percentage is always more hot than not, I wonder why?
PP  I just read in a magazine that it's not the seeds that gives the heat, but the part holding the seeds to the fruit, so remove that and see if that drops the heat and if it does let me knowSmile
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-01-2021, 02:40 PM)Mamzie Wrote: When you say no heat, are they still spicy please? I like sweet peppers, just never tried hot ones. My son loves sweet chilli sauce, so thinking of trying to make some this year x
I guess you’d call the no heat one’s slightly spicy. I make sweet chilli sauce from the no heat ones. It very popular.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Vinny

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
ooh, exciting I will have a look for the ones you mentioned for him, thank you x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 3 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-12-2020, 12:52 AM)Small chilli Wrote: I can highly recommend for no heat, Padron,

It is known as the Russian roulette chilli   Wink . To be honest I’ve never found much heat at all. I hate them the traditional way. Tried it once, horrible!  Undecided . I much prefer them when they’re ripe ( red ). I use them as sweet peppers in curries, chillies,  pizza anything. In salad when fresh, I’m on frozen ones now.
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(02-01-2021, 04:54 PM)Spec Wrote:

PP  I just read in a magazine that it's not the seeds that gives the heat, but the part holding the seeds to the fruit, so remove that and see if that drops the heat and if it does let me knowSmile

Yes, I knew that, but it is a bit of a bu**er to remove when you're trying to cook the beasts whole, mind !!
I only have dried ones left - they go a pleasing red when ripe and dry quite well - so we'll have to wait for next season now Smile

[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(02-01-2021, 05:21 PM)Small chilli Wrote:

It is known as the Russian roulette chilli   Wink . To be honest I’ve never found much heat at all. I hate them the traditional way. Tried it once, horrible!  Undecided . I much prefer them when they’re ripe ( red ). I use them as sweet peppers in curries, chillies,  pizza anything. In salad when fresh, I’m on frozen ones now.

Must be my special Pyrenean soil because the odds are rarely in my favour  Cry But yes, they are nice red Smile

[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-01-2021, 04:04 PM)Spec Wrote: Sc do you grow all your peppers in containers or do you plant any directly into the soil and if mixed what is the reason for mixed growing methods, you may have answered this question in the past, but I haven't come across itSmile
All my chillies are grown in pots. Nothing smaller than 7lt. My biggest pot is 100lt. Compost is mixed with 25% perlite and a handful of chicken manure pellets. I have grown them in my tunnel raised bed in the past and they’ve done well. But noticeably slower than those in pots. due to location ( this will apply to you spec ) slow growing isn’t ideal. Because they take so long to mature/ ripen pods. Quicker is better. So I never top / prune them in anyway either. This also slows growth. And if you give them the time, pot space and feed them well they will produce very nicely. Without the need for hacking lumps off them to make them bush out.
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny