Autumn sowing of Beans and Peas
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(28-09-2022, 01:38 PM)Veggie Wrote: Its that time of year again!!
Who's sowing overwintering peas and broad beans or any other beans?
I have The Sutton and a taller tpe of broad bean to sow (Name escapes me) Blush I toyed with sowing them a bit early as the recommended month is Novemeber? Huh
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Broadway Offline
Thanks for the nudge, bit all over the place/not with it atm.

I'm starting a job Sunday so might put the broad beans and onion sets in modules for now.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-09-2022, 05:04 PM)Vinny Wrote:
I have The Sutton and a taller tpe of broad bean to sow (Name escapes me) Blush I toyed with sowing them a bit early as the recommended month is Novemeber? Huh
If you plant too early they romp away with long sappy growth and the tops get frosted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
(28-09-2022, 06:43 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
If you plant too early they romp away with long sappy growth and the tops get frosted.
I agree Scarlet, but it surely makes a difference what part of the country you harken from? Huh  I think I sowed in Novemebr last year and had poor germination with the ones that did germinate damping off soon after?
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I sow them when I think about it, I'll probably sow some every month until next spring. Wizard Field beans don't grow too tall and, if they don't survive, consider them to be green manure.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-09-2022, 10:28 PM)Vinny Wrote:
I agree Scarlet, but it surely makes a difference what part of the country you harken from? Huh  I think I sowed in Novemebr last year and had poor germination with the ones that did germinate damping off soon after?
Yes.. definitely agree it depends where you are... I always start most things in modules as i feel i get a head start on weeds... o also found that I was better starting in feb? Try 2 or 3 staggered sowings to see which one works the best?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
(28-09-2022, 11:03 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(28-09-2022, 10:28 PM)Vinny Wrote:
Yes.. definitely agree it depends where you are... I always start most things in modules as i feel i get a head start on weeds... o also found that I was better starting in feb? Try 2 or 3 staggered sowings to see which one works the best?
Thats the plan Scarlet! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet