Growing garlic for the first time
Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Just an update on my indoor garlic, question for those experienced growers, are they going to seed ?m see the top that is pointed like an onion or leek going to seed 

Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • JJB

Jimny14 Offline
It's a scape, you're all good. Once it's curled round and is pointing vertical again (according to a book I read once although I've taken them out earlier no problem) take them out as close to the leaves as you can. Chop em up n eat them, I like adding them to stir fries, you can make them in to a kind of pesto, lots of uses.
Also once removed leave the garlic bulb to develop further until you notice the lowest few leaves are dying off then lift them and move to somewhere airy and warm to dry.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(30-05-2021, 10:57 PM)Jimny14 Wrote: It's a scape, you're all good. Once it's curled round and is pointing vertical again (according to a book I read once although I've taken them out earlier no problem) take them out as close to the leaves as you can. Chop em up n eat them, I like adding them to stir fries, you can make them in to a kind of pesto, lots of uses.
Also once removed leave the garlic bulb to develop further until you notice the lowest few leaves are dying off then lift them and move to somewhere airy and warm to dry.
Thanks Jimmy but I’m confused are you saying leave them as they are now ?
  • JJB

Jimny14 Offline
You can leave em a bit longer until they form a circle or remove em now. I've done both and haven't noticed any difference.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Ooh, garlic - there's something I can sow after an Autumn move Smile These are looking good!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot

Broadway Offline
(31-05-2021, 11:37 AM)Proserpina Wrote: Ooh, garlic - there's something I can sow after an Autumn move Smile These are looking good!
Onions and Broadbeans as well Proserpina although I think they catch up if you wait till spring?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
If you do grow garlic or autumn onions, keep an eye out from beginning of May onwards for any signs of white rot. Hopefully wont be a problem.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
i dug a bulb to see what it’s like, have a look. Going to let it dry before I try split it.         

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(30-05-2021, 10:57 PM)Jimny14 Wrote: It's a scape, you're all good. Once it's curled round and is pointing vertical again (according to a book I read once although I've taken them out earlier no problem) take them out as close to the leaves as you can. Chop em up n eat them, I like adding them to stir fries, you can make them in to a kind of pesto, lots of uses.
Thanks Jimmy, I found this article online https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/growing/...-cook-them
  • Jimny14

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I harvested a number of garlics and I’m impressed, I left the smaller ones in the ground to see if they will get bigger. A number of them had extra bulbs attached to the main bulb.