Advent Seed Calendars
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(12-11-2020, 09:47 AM)JJB Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 09:18 PM)Veggie Wrote: Some of you may remember that for the last few years I've been "making" my own Advent Seed Calendar - basically, dipping my hand into a bag of seed packets each day and sowing a few of whatever I pull out. I know that SC has joined me in this Festively Nutty adventure - even making her own amazing Advent calendar. Smile

I'm giving you advance notice that I shall be doing this again this year - and it will cost far less than £55. Wink I'd welcome some company while I try to get in the Festive mood.  Rolleyes

Veggie, do you mean picking out a random pkt of seeds each day of December. then sowing then, or keeping said seeds to sow when recommended, prob next spring.  I know your penchant for sowing out of season Smile  not a lot of hope here for a tomato surviving.

JJB, Sowing a few seeds from the packet you pull out on the day and keeping the rest for whenever you think is right.
As for tomatoes, I usually start some on New Year's Day, just to get the year started in the way I want it to continue - growing things with dirty hands. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Mamzie, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(12-11-2020, 09:51 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I'm in!

I have all my seeds very organised so it would be impossible to just dip. However I also have a box of Maybe Too Olds which usually just get scattered somewhere in the spring but this year will get that special Advent Treatment Smile

(As long as we can keep the fact that NOTHING has germinated a secret?)
Welcome Smile
I have a collection of Odds and Ends that never quite make it to the priority list. This is when they have their chance to shine...........or not. 

The way I do it is to fill 24 small pots with compost and keep them somewhere handy and warm - so that I don't have to go outside rummaging in cold compost every day. Then pick a packet, sow a few seeds, reseal the packet and write a label . The sown pot is watered and put in a plastic bag or under a propagator lid and left to get on with it. 

If they germinate I excitedly tell everyone and if they don't I make an excuse to myself like - old seed, wrong time of year, long germination needed and they end up in the GH or outdoors in spring, forgotten. Later in the year, a little green shoot may appear and its so rewarding - I'm easily pleased. Smile

No Rules, No Shame.Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Mamzie, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Broadway Offline
Jesus I may even join in, I like the idea of having the pots ready and waitingSmile

I have a tin with what I plan to sow next year and a tin of spares, so basically I dip my hand in the spares tin each day?

99.99% will be veg
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Mamzie, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Doesn't matter what you sow - just come here each day and tell us what it was so we can share the excitement. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Mamzie, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I might try this myself! And make a few to gift for friends...would be a fun thing to open everyday. I've got the seeds- it's the "thing" tI put them in may be difficult. Needs to be relatively quick to make.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Mamzie, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Have you seen the Victoriana ones? They use dated Brown envelopes on string. Looks very homemade!!
  • Mamzie, Scarlet, Small chilli

Admin Offline
The Boss
I wonder if anyone will enter the Christmas decoration competition with one?
[-] The following 6 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Norfolk Grey, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(12-11-2020, 01:26 PM)Admin Wrote: I wonder if anyone will enter the Christmas decoration competition with one?
Thanks a great idea for someone  Cool .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie

Spec Offline
So if I use a cell tray and sowing different types of seed every day, just sowing 2 or 3 seeds per cell that would count?
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
It takes a while to sink in, but yes, you've got it now!
  • Norfolk Grey, Small chilli, Spec