Flowers beginning with D
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-11-2020, 09:42 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I would like to grow delphiniums . Never grown them and they look very cottage gardeny & bee friendly
Easy from seed SC! A friend gifted me one about 10 years ago and it religiously comes back every year -

D is for DAY LILY - Hemerocallis. I have lots of the orange ones, they can be quite aggressive and will take over a border quite quickly.

I was also gifted a beautiful dark almost black variety  from Spec. It's a stunner. I think it's been in my garden nearly two years now? 
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-11-2020, 10:01 PM)Spec Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 09:47 PM)Scarlet Wrote: D is also for Desdemona - a repeat flowing white shrub rose from DA.
It should be arriving this week - I've spent lots of time preparing my new border. I've only got a quarter of it done so far ( I'm a bit slow Wink )

Lovely looking rose there Scarlet, but in the past I never got good results with DA roses they never stood up well to bad weather, would like to try them again but don't want to waste my money, have they improved since the late 60s early 70s and yes I agree with you Big Grin
Some have blooms so big they can flop over? But they make a real statement in my garden. Unfortunately most of my photos have been deleted off my phone - I've run out of memory.
But this is Gertrude Jekyll. Stunning. So good I bought it twice Smile

It's still flowering today - obviously not quite as good but I'll take a photo tomorrow.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Spec, Veggie

Spec Offline
(10-11-2020, 09:42 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I would like to grow delphiniums . Never grown them and they look very cottage gardeny & bee friendly
Sc while you are so busy you could try scattering some larkspur seeds, same family and looks like delphiniums but are annuals and even easier to grow

[quote="Scarlet"
- I've run out of memory.
I bought it twice :)
[/quote]
Try a diary Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-11-2020, 10:39 PM)Spec Wrote: [quote='Small chilli' pid='11100' dateline='1605040947']
I would like to grow delphiniums . Never grown them and they look very cottage gardeny & bee friendly
Sc while you are so busy you could try scattering some larkspur seeds, same family and looks like delphiniums but are annuals and even easier to grow

Scarlet
- I've run out of memory.
I bought it twice :)
[/quote Wrote:
Try a diary Big Grin

I’ve only had one pack of larkspur seeds and what germinate wasn’t larkspur. But it is another variety I’d like to try.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I don't ususlly bother with Dahlias but couldn't resist a Vancouver corm whilst shopping at Morries. The main reason I bought it, apart from it's red petals with white tips, was the size of the corm. It was plump and is huge with  many tubers bigger than my fingers.  Cool

I have it in a mushroom tray now with some dampened compost pushed in around it and sat in my bottom warmed propagator Smile . My hope is that it will send up many shoots that I can use for cuttings, hence making my £2 purchase price seem a bargain. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, MartinH, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(03-03-2022, 07:18 PM)Vinny Wrote: I don't ususlly bother with Dahlias but couldn't resist a Vancouver corm whilst shopping at Morries. The main reason I bought it, apart from it's red petals with white tips, was the size of the corm. It was plump and is huge with  many tubers bigger than my fingers.  Cool

I have it in a mushroom tray now with some dampened compost pushed in around it and sat in my bottom warmed propagator Smile . My hope is that it will send up many shoots that I can use for cuttings, hence making my £2 purchase price seem a bargain. Rolleyes
Have you managed to take any cuttings yet?

Farendwoman Offline
Trying that post again. Sorry!
I’ve also got loads of orange day lilies. Dug a load up today and offered them to neighbours on our local WhatsApp. What I didn’t know was that they can be cooked like green beans …..
“Day lily flowers are edible, and tasty at that. Crisp, sweet and surprisingly nutritious (the pollen and nectar offer protein and carbohydrates), they are lovely in salads. But the best way to eat them is to go for the unopened flower bud, which can be fried, steamed or boiled, and used as you might green beans. You can also deep-fry the spent flowers in a tempura-style batter or dry them and use to thicken soups (a traditional Chinese method is to hang them for 10 days).
Despite the brief nature of their flowers, day lilies are tough plants. They care little about soil type, provided they have some sun (in nature, they grow in forest margins, so they will survive shade, too). They are drought-tolerant and can withstand neglect. “
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think SC is growing them too eat?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Farendwoman Offline
(04-04-2022, 10:18 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I think  SC is growing them too eat?
Don’t think I fancy eating them. I’m all for a little sprinkle of pretty stuff on my rice or salads, but don’t really like the idea of cooking these up.mind you, if all the doom and gloom about shortages of everything  come to pass, then I might have to have a rethink.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-04-2022, 10:18 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I think  SC is growing them too eat?
I am  Big Grin . They’re all doing very well now they’re in a bigger tub. Can’t wait to put some of those flowers on my salad. I like the sound of tempura batter buds  Cool .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet