Nature & wildlife pictures
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-08-2022, 09:06 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Mother nature is being crippled by people Sad
So agree with this...

We have green fields the opposite side of me behind a new housing estate...it's supposed to a be a "nature reserve" they've added trees, and many people take their dogs. One dog got stung a lot of times because he went near a wasps nest.

The owner got the council to remove the nest - I said, put a flag near it to stop dogs going there, the nest will be gone by autumn. I didn't have a great response  Wink I know they sting... but they are still pollinators and they've built a nest in green fields. I was so annoyed.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Rescued this beautiful lady from the polytunnel.

While she was sat on my hand recovering from her ordeal I took a few photos. Then felt something between my fingers.
She **it on my hand  Big Grin . I’ve never seen dragonfly **it before.

After 15 minutes and no sign of her wanting to move. I found somewhere else for her to recover so I could have my hand back  Smile
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 10 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Farendwoman, Jay, JJB, MartinH, PyreneesPlot, Roitelet, Scarlet, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
This is a pile of sand on our building site. I noticed the really cool formations that has been created by the rain.

[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Jay, JJB, MartinH, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Great photo, SC. Reminds me of the Fairy chimneys of Cappadocia, Turkey. Same principle, a hard cap stone over a soft rock that has been weathered away by wind and rain The only difference is that they have taken centuries to form and yours were done in a few days.
https://www.charismaticplanet.com/fairy-...appadocia/
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Small chilli

JJB Online
Moonraker
That is so cool, it could almost be extraterrestrial - think Tattooine
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(01-11-2022, 11:17 PM)Veggie Wrote: Great photo, SC. Reminds me of the Fairy chimneys of Cappadocia, Turkey. Same principle, a hard cap stone over a soft rock that has been weathered away by wind and rain The only difference is that they have taken centuries to form and yours were done in a few days.
That really cool. I thought There must be some bigger versions somewhere. Have you been to see the Turkish fairy chimneys? Isn’t there something similar in the Grand Canyon but not as many? 
My sand pile ones aren’t very big. That a 2”x 2” bit of wood sat next to them.  Big Grin 

[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Roitelet, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Nature can do some amazing things at times. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-11-2022, 09:29 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 11:17 PM)Veggie Wrote: Great photo, SC. Reminds me of the Fairy chimneys of Cappadocia, Turkey. Same principle, a hard cap stone over a soft rock that has been weathered away by wind and rain The only difference is that they have taken centuries to form and yours were done in a few days.
That really cool. I thought There must be some bigger versions somewhere. Have you been to see the Turkish fairy chimneys? Isn’t there something similar in the Grand Canyon but not as many? 
My sand pile ones aren’t very big. That a 2”x 2” bit of wood sat next to them.  Big Grin 
Yes, been to Cappadocia twice. The first time on an Explore adventure bus which was amazing. They played Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene on the sound system and I can't hear it now without thinking of that trip. The locals have carved houses out of the rocks and whole villages into the valley sides - riddled with tunnels that we explored by torchlight. Magical.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Found this little fella trying to hibernate on a bookshelf when I was spring cleaning yesterday. So I took him outside it was cold but sunny. Hopefully he had one last feed before he went and found a more suitable hibernation spot.

• Farendwoman, JJB, SarrissUK, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
A mute swan cygnet in the garden of the house I clean this morning. That was a surprise when I looked out the bedroom window.

• Bren, Mark_Riga, MartinH, Veggie, Vinny