Nasturtium and club root
Spec Offline
As nasturtium are members of the brassica family, do the also suffer from clubroot, or, more important can they transfer clubroot from one part of the garden to another?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(30-10-2020, 09:15 PM)Spec Wrote: As nasturtium are members of the brassica family, do the also suffer from clubroot, or, more important can they transfer clubroot from one part of the garden to another?
I didn't realise they were brassicas but if they are they could also suffer from clubroot and spread the sporesSick

Clubroot is a microscopic fungus so yes, it could be spread this way.  Cry Do you have clubroot in part of your garden Spec? Huh
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I didn't think Nasturtums were brassicas either as the flowers are the wrong shape. Brassica flowers have 4 petals, cruciform.
The garden flower Nasturtium is actually a Tropaeolum, not a brassica.

However, there are plants called Nasturtiums that are brassicas - but they're not the garden flowers we usually grow.
Before you breathe a sigh of relief, Honesty, Sweet Rocket, Wallflowers and various other flowers are brassicas.
There's a list at https://www.britannica.com/topic/list-of...ae-2004620
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Spec Offline
(30-10-2020, 10:19 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(30-10-2020, 09:15 PM)Spec Wrote: As nasturtium are members of the brassica family, do the also suffer from clubroot, or, more important can they transfer clubroot from one part of the garden to another?
I didn't realise they were brassicas but if they are they could also suffer from clubroot and spread the sporesSick

Clubroot is a microscopic fungus so yes, it could be spread this way.  Cry Do you have clubroot in part of your garden Spec? Huh

No Vinny I don't have clubroot though it was in the garden many years ago, and don't want it back again, so when I read about watercress being
Nasturtium officinale, I immediately thought that with the peppery taste, similar to the likes of rocket, then what I know as nasturtium could be related to the brassica, but as Veggie has pointed out the nasturtium that I sow for flowers are thankfully of the Tropaeolum species, so thanks Veggie
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny