Making a raised bed
Spec Offline
I started filling a new raised bed when I thought I should have taken photos of the work, unfortunately I hadn't so I will have to describe what I have been doing. First I needed to clear the area where the bed was going, it took six large rubble bags to hold the soil and to make things more difficult, there were a lot of tree roots through the soil, once cleared I then constructed the frame, the size being 9ft. by 5ft. and using paving slabs for 1 side and the 2 ends the other side being made with galvanized tin sheeting, I sealed the joints and filled the gaps at the sheeting with cement . I then started filling the bed first by adding a layer of soil about 9 in. deep, I then covered the soil with material from my compost bins a lot of it still fresh, this layer is about 5 inches deep, I then covered that with a layer of soil over which I put a layer of cardboard/newspaper which I then soaked,followed by more soil, filling the bed up to the top, I have now left it to settle for a time and once settled I will cover the bed with a blanket of seaweed (after all what's a bed without a blanket) and finally I will cover that with another layer of cardboard and leave it over the winter to settle.
[-] The following 5 users Like Spec's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Sounds very intensive Spec, looks like you will have plenty of compost and cardboard breakdown over the winter.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Admin Offline
The Boss
Is it for veg or flowers Spec?

Spec Offline
(29-10-2020, 10:05 AM)Admin Wrote: Is it for veg or flowers Spec?

It will be a mix as I have some sweetpeas growing at present and plan to grow some peas and beans just not sure whither they will be dwarf or climbing I also want some flowers and thinking of growing chrysants, but then plans change
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man