New greenhouse - this may take some time and you might get bored
Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(21-05-2020, 08:29 AM)JJB Wrote: We thought it would be a good place for grandma, but that would mean we would have to move her from the rockerySmile

Big GrinIsn't it amazing, just how much spoil there is from a hole !  Don't talk to me about the stones Big Grin.  And the dump won't take them at the moment so they're being stored in bags for when the dump opens.  Don't bother suggesting creating paths, done that and bought several tee shirts.  When we moved into this house in 1985 we spent ages removing stones from the veg patch. Enough to pave a neighbouring farmer's track.  And I've been collecting stones ever since.  I think they breed and have babies in the winter.

They do breed, I have the same problem every year, I’m even finding them breeding in the raised beds in poly tunnel.  Just don’t know. Maybe if I crush some oral contraceptives mix with water and spray the ground they might stop breeding  Big Grin
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Mikey

Mikey Offline
As I’ve not seen your greenhouse, what type will it be? I’ve always fancied a Hartley Botantics, old JR is marvellous. 

Also as a spatial planner myself, I’ve got to know why does it stick out further than the other one. Blush
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Online
Moonraker
(23-05-2020, 08:09 AM)Mikey Wrote: As I’ve not seen your greenhouse, what type will it be? I’ve always fancied a Hartley Botantics, old JR is marvellous. 

Also as a spatial planner myself, I’ve got to know why does it stick out further than the other one. Blush

I've just goggled the Hartley Botanics!  I wish!  Money and space no object I can't agree more, it's beautiful, but back to reality, the new one is a bog standard jobby, as it's a total extravagance I tried to keep costs to a minimum.  I've chosen a 6x8 Simplicity Shugborough which is one of the few high eaves ones that would go on soil.  Nothing beautiful but with the high eaves and some extra height staging it might make it less backbreaking at the work station.

As to why it's set forward... the grass path behind existing GH is near a hedge and quite narrow and not the easiest to mow and OH didn't want to narrow it even further. I want water butts to collect rain run off and the only place for them will be at the rear of th new GH.  So it's set forward to accommodate water butts.  One of the existing butts will be moved because access will be denied when new GH is in place, the other butt is a permanent one that 'leaks' water into the bed of GH no. 1 so stays.    As the whole garden is rather narrow, I think only about 15m, finding space in that area which allowed adequate walkways and mower access wasn't easy.

Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Good luck with the new GH JJB
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • JJB

JJB Online
Moonraker
Thanks Can, we'll get there eventually, it takes soooo long. I want it now!
Greetings from Salisbury

Mikey Offline
I’ve never had a new one JJB, all of mine have come from gumtree or eBay. I think I paid £100 for the Largest one 12 x 8 but the others were free except for replacement glass and extra clips.

I built mine off concrete blocks on edge with a little benched concrete to hold them square and upright. Like you I have earth borders they are much easier to maintain.

I still long for a Hartley though, I’ve always wanted one of their curved used Aluminium ones, I came close once on ebay at £300 but in the last day it went up and sold for over £1000 out of my league. OH would have had a menty.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • JJB

JJB Online
Moonraker
Day three of digging, probably the last until the GH arrives.

We've dug all the soil out, looked at it and put it all back again, if that isn't a metaphor for life,  I don't know what is. Smile.  Alright  we did sieve it and bag up what seems like a tonne of stones, so all is not futile..... resistance is futile.  It now needs to settle for a few weeks.  Just as well, I have so many other things I should be getting on with.
There would have been a pic of a humungous spoil heap in the middle of the veg patch, but himself started putting it all back in the trench before I could get my tablet.

Greetings from Salisbury
  • Broadway, Jay, Veggie

Mikey Offline
Did you put himself in the shot to prove he’s not in the bottom? Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
Exactly, when the rozzers turn up at the door I can prove he wasn't under the sod. I thought it captured his good side. Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Jay, Mikey, Veggie

Mikey Offline
Come on be honest you prefer it when you can see the back of him. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • JJB, Veggie