Empty plot over the winter - to cover or not
Vinny Online
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Approx 3400 seeds of Phacelia Campanularis arrived today from Seekay hort Supplies. It took me ages to count them. Rolleyes

Seed packet states they can be sown from Jan to June or Sept to Dec. (10 months of the year) Smile

Don't know whether to direct sow or sow in modules? If i put a tiny pinch in each module and leave them in the greenhouse it may be best.? I have some plug trays but I am unsure how fast they will grow? I will probably do a 'belt and braces job (I have enough seed) to sow indoors and outdoors in stations rather than drills as advised on seed packet. Big Grin

Still awaiting the Limanthes seeds but will treat them in a similar fashion. I have grown these before and they self seed all over so it will be best if they are dug in after flowering and setting seed to get a continuous green manure crop. Idea

Looking forward to this experiment in green manuring and to having a bit of colour on the plot! Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I would just chuck the seed everywhere. Would you really want to plant up loads of module sown?
If will be interesting to see how you do - and wether you think it's worth the effort.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm with Scarlet - its has to be the scatter technique although apparently it makes a nice pot plant so you could do a couple of pots as well.
Remember, the green manure is supposed to be to save you time and effort, not careful planting out of seedlings. Save that for something you really want to grow.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Scarlet

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
They do make lovely flowers I agree Scarlett, Our mini dahlia patch is just ending, and gave us a nice bunch of flowers to send to a poorly friend start of the week x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 2 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've just found a large 60g packet of Phacelia, enough for 30 sq yds, that I think I picked up at the Cardiff Seed Swap (where we met, MamzieWink)
https://www.kingsseeds.com/Products/Vege...=true#jump
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Scarlet

Vinny Online
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(30-10-2020, 02:46 PM)Veggie Wrote: I've just found a large 60g packet of Phacelia, enough for 30 sq yds, that I think I picked up at the Cardiff Seed Swap (where we met, MamzieWink)
https://www.kingsseeds.com/Products/Vege...=true#jump
I've got a feeling I have made a boo-boo by buying the wrong Phacelia seeds for green manure? Huh I have Phacelia Campanularia which has a prettier flower than Tanacetefolia but I can't find a mention of it being used as green manure? Cry
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Never mind, with 3400 seeds you can afford to chop and drop some.
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Vinny

Spec Offline
I have never used a green manure, but surely any plants that are growing including grass can be howed or dug into the ground, I remember when I was younger I was told perennial weeds are removed, but everything else can be dug in
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie