Flowers beginning with B
Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
(24-10-2020, 01:24 PM)JJB Wrote:
(24-10-2020, 12:09 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(24-10-2020, 10:05 AM)JJB Wrote: I always try to grow busy lizzies and begonias for bedding, with varying degrees of success.  Must try harder.  Bluebells??  You've gotta be joking, I dig 'em up and bin them.
Don’t bin them!!!! Offer them on here as a swap or something. someone might like them. You can get them to send self addressed envelope so you’re not out of pocket. Just a thought    Blush .

If you want any just say.  They're the Spanish type which are thugs!
I guessed they weren’t our lovely English ones as you’re pulling them out. bluebells are on my list but not Spanish ones thank you.  Blush .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • JJB

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
I like spanish thugs. I have no quarms chopping their heads off and sticking them in a vase. You can get white and pink ones too.
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
^^^^ I like them well enough but not in the flowerbeds, they take over. A bit like grape hyacinth, you can't get rid.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I dig out loads too - they just take over a lovely flower bed in seconds ...Not something that I would want to leave for long as they can be troublesome getting rid off if left.

My B is
Bupleurum longifolium  - I have the seeds from a friend ready for sowing in January.

Actually as there are going to be loads of C's
B for bachelors button Wink  aka cornflowers
I've pink and black on the go.
Pics of my tidy GH at the moment. Sowing lots already.

Also "Black Knight" scabious coming along nicely.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(25-10-2020, 10:13 AM)JJB Wrote: ^^^^ I like them well enough but not in the flowerbeds,  they take over.  A bit like grape hyacinth, you can't get rid.

I just planted in this morning some white ones.....I really hope they are as aggressive as the purple.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
[QUOTE] JJB
V do you mean tuberous (corms) that usually go in hanging baskets and pots or fibrous for bedding?  One year I dug up the fibrous ones and put them in the compost, next spring  dug the compost and found some very nice roots all sprouting, a lovely surprise.  I've brought a window  box  of fibrous ones into the porch to see if they will last the winter.  P talks to them  Confused .... looking for intelligent conversation again. [/UNQUOTE]

JJB - I mean the tuberous/corms ones. I had so many one year from a cheap offer that I bunged some in the garden just to get rid of them. The ones in baskets and pots stay out all winter too and keep coming back - as do the geraniums but that's another letter.Wink

The fibrous bedding begonias can be propagated quite easily by taking healthy stems and putting them in water to root. that's my answer to everything - bung it in water and wait for the roots. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(25-10-2020, 01:17 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I dig out loads too - they just take over a lovely flower bed in seconds ...Not something that I would want to leave for long as they can be troublesome getting rid off if left.

My B is
Bupleurum longifolium  - I have the seeds from a friend ready for sowing in January.

Actually as there are going to be loads of C's
B for bachelors button Wink  aka cornflowers
I've pink and black on the go.
Pics of my tidy GH at the moment. Sowing lots already.

Also "Black Knight" scabious coming along nicely.
Looks great, Scarlet. You're so organised.
Nice chard too. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
I’ll add to my B list . berkheya purpurea
I tried growing them last year but they don’t germinate. I’d like to try them again next year. 1 because I have the seeds. 2 because they are hardy perennial.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thank you VC- that chard was grown alongside my beans - so pretty much shaded all day. The first time I've grown Fordhook Giant. I won't bother with the rainbow again. This variety tastes fab and is really productive.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie