Feed the Family & Veg Survival Kit
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Real Seeds and Franchi sell Seed collections that aim to keep you family fed year round - and to be easy to grow with seeds you can save for the future. 
Since I'm easily tempted I've bought both - the Real Seeds "Feed the Family Collection" bought last February and the Franchi "Vegetable Growing Survival Kit" which is the same as the Brexit seed kit. 

Real seeds : 14 varieties
  • Sanguina beetroot
  • Petrowski turnip
  • Wizard field bean
  • Sutherland kale
  • Leaf Beet chard
  • D' Eyesines fat carrot
  • Bleu de Solaise leek
  • Mortons Secret Mixed lettuce
  • Jessy dwarf sugar snap pea
  • Joan swede
  • Czar runner bean
  • Stupice tomato
  • Verde di Italia courgette
  • Abundance french bean
Order MC46 - £35.90 (although I bought it when there was a discount offer for £26.92)

Franchi Seeds "Vegetable Growing Survival Kit" is £21.99 for 12 varieties but I bought the "Magazine Offer" at £24.99 with 3 mystery packets of seeds extra. They're a bit vague about the varieties of seed in the survival kit but the types (with variety received in brackets) are :-
Short carrot (Paris market)
Lambs Lettuce/Corn salad (as it says!)
Spinach (America)
Broad beans (Aquadulce Supersimona)
Bush tomato (Roma VF)
Cut and come again lettuce (Misticanza- mixed lettuce)

Kale (Cavolo Nero)
Pea (Piccolo Provencale)
Dwarf Borlotto bean (this was actually a Climbing Borlotto Lamon)
Dwarf French bean (N/K yet as they sent Basil by mistake. DFB to come next week with Paolo's apologies. Top marks for customer service) EDIT DFB Boby bianco recived and I can keep the basil. Smile
Pumpkin (Marina di chioggia)
Broccoletti (Spigariello)

For interest, the 3 mystery packets were:-
Gherkin - Piccolo parigi
Lettuce - Barba dei frati
Carrot - Rubrovitamina

In theory, I have enough seeds to Feed my notional family and Survive. All the packets are very generous so I could probably feed the street if I grew the lot!

I think the collections are interesting not only for what's included, but for what is omitted.
There's no cabbage, sprouts or cauli - but kale and Broccoletti.
No cucumbers (as you can't count the freebie gherkins).
No radish or onions - but turnips, swede and leeks.

Would you add anything to these lists or do you think they're sufficient?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Eyren

Mikey Offline
Potato, it was always on my plate as a kid but missing from those lists. Other than Cavalo Nero and maybe the leeks, there’s not much growing in spring. So storage is obviously quite important.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Re the storage - I guess that's why some of the beans are for drying and cooking and the pumpkin is for storage

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Re:- Cabbage. I had sown Durham Early spring cabbage last year at about this time of year. This has kept me in cabbage from then until now and beyond. I thinned the rows for Spring greens and when I harvested each head I cut a cross in the remaining stem which allowed four more cabbages to grow.
I have recently sown some more Spring cabbage and this will give me as much cabbage as I can eat over a 12 month period without resorting to any other types.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Eyren, Mark_Riga, Mikey, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Chillies! They’ve forgotten the chillies.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 6 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Broadway, Eyren, Mikey, Proserpina, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(20-09-2020, 08:58 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Chillies! They’ve forgotten the chillies.
How did I know you'd say that?  Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Broadway Offline
(19-09-2020, 10:17 PM)Vinny Wrote: Re:- Cabbage. I had sown Durham Early spring cabbage last year at about this time of year. This has kept me in cabbage from then until now and beyond. I thinned the rows for Spring greens and when I harvested each head I cut a cross in the remaining stem which allowed  four more cabbages to grow.
I have recently sown some more Spring cabbage and this will give me as much cabbage as I can eat over a 12 month period without resorting to any other types.
Interesting tip re the stem VinnySmile Do you sow in modules or direct?
Regards..........Danny Smile

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(21-09-2020, 02:01 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(19-09-2020, 10:17 PM)Vinny Wrote: Re:- Cabbage. I had sown Durham Early spring cabbage last year at about this time of year. This has kept me in cabbage from then until now and beyond. I thinned the rows for Spring greens and when I harvested each head I cut a cross in the remaining stem which allowed  four more cabbages to grow.
Sown in a seedbed to be transplanted, although they can be direct sown and use thinning's as greens. About 50mm high now so will transplant when about 150mm.  I will leave some in the seedbed to grow to maturity.

By cutting a cross in stem after harvesting large head you get smaller hearts which are more suited to a single meal for two.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(21-09-2020, 02:17 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(21-09-2020, 02:01 PM)Broadway Wrote:
Sown in a seedbed to be transplanted, although they can be direct sown and use thinning's as greens. About 50mm high now so will transplant when about 150mm.  I will leave some in the seedbed to grow to maturity.

By cutting a cross in stem after harvesting large head you get smaller hearts which are more suited to a single meal for two.
Thanks will definitely try this next year Smile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I'll have a look what spring cabbage seeds I've got and if I find some, will sow tomorrow and see how they go. I'll probably put about 80 seeds in a tray. I assume you put them about 6" (150mm) apart in a bed (4'x4') which would thin to 9?