Kitchen design apps??
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've tried lots of ways to fit things in - getting a job and a sink in seems to be tricky.

I did think perhaps having a gap by the small window would enable me to have floor to ceiling units on that Aga wall.

Anyways here are some answers
Height of room - 7foot 3

Yes. 13foot - should have been 4.2meters....we are adding on a square?

Window height is just an inch off the worktop.

The double doors onto garden - I can't see size specified but I wanted them wide to match the house doors? All doors are very wide. Internal doors are 3ft wide each.
The garden side is very sunny by lunchtime.
Large skylight in new build.
All walls on old build are 1 and a half foot thick - that little nib will be for the steel to sit on.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
My kitchen table is 110x75 cm - it does pull out. I know it's a bit small.

The nib is 20cm out from wall.

I have a large freezer in a garage and my washing machine is the other side of the house - our bathroom is downstairs.

I would like a big fridge - not fitted.

The Aga is gas - always on. I would love to be able to switch it off over Summer.
I make lots of cakes so I really need an oven and I would like 4 hobs/ or one of those flat things.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

In a way, my kitchen and yours are similar - but mine lacks character!!
Mine was extended and I have nibs to contend with which made the layout fiddly. I always wanted an Aga, now I have it, I don't use it. Its been turned off for 18 months as I'm not a proper cook like you, Scarlet. If it wasn't for the hassle of getting rid of it I'd swap it for a normal cooker. Even when I used it in the winter, I'd put a worksurface lid on it in summer so I could use the space as you can't put anything down on an Aga top because of the stoopid domed lids.
I had a 2 ring gas hob installed alongside the Aga at the outset, something easy to control and the microwave is also an oven/grill.

Before I acquired the table with the computer on, the wheeled unit would go there as extra work surface or sit in the middle of the room as an island - great for parties with food and drinks on top.

On the windowless side, alongside the door, I have all the cupboards and the microwave, fridge beneath...............and the dogs bed by the radiator!

Excuse all the junk but it may give you ideas of what to do/or not!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli

Mikey Offline
Skylight, flat lantern, like an orangery roof, image attached?, or pitched like a velux?

So Double doors onto the garden, 1800-2000 width?, are you thinking closer to the dining area so you can see the garden? this would give you more surface potential for the kitchen, if the patio door is not symmetrical in the extension wall.

Your ceiling height in the existing room looks lower than 2200mm 7'3", it looks more like 2000mm, this might be a trick of the eye mind.  Blush

Have you thought about adding an Aga electric module onto the side of the Aga, these do come up now and again on ebay around the 1500-2000K mark, though it would mean moving the existing aga over as I'm sure these are always on the left-hand side, not the right.

Cabinet heights, you mentioned you were short of stature, that Aga of yours will be 900-910mm off the floor but, your Island could be a little lower if you wanted, this only requires the legs on the cabinets to be wound down, so you could reduce this to 860mm if you wanted. It's a lot easier to roll pastry or icing a little lower than standard worktop height.
Talking of heights, there are three heights of tall cupboards these are standard and not special sizes. 1970mm floor to top of the cupboard, these are classed as low larder cupboards and suit a wall unit that is 575mm high, 2120mm which suits a 720mm wall cupboard and 2300mm which suit a wall cupboard which is 900mm. You normally have a gap between the worktop and wall units around 490-500mm dependent on the thickness of worktop. Though there is no legal requirement so you could reduce this is you wanted, and have a stepped height. 
As your property is older it tends to suit a more eclectic style with mixed colours and potentially mixed worktops, so you get a more freestanding feel, and if there are wall cupboards they are not planned wall to wall instead those cupboards they have spaces around them, like the images attached. 

Fashion in worktops is getting thinner, so 20mm or 12mm is a lot more normal for solid surface worktops these days whereas traditional laminate worktops were 38-40mm thick.

I'd expect you to have 300mm nibs to support steelwork beams, so the one between your window and patio doors will be 300mm deep and 500mm width, it's the size of the small return on the opposite side by your existing front door, I'm guessing this is about 360mm based of 15' feet and 13'10" dimensions.

I've also attached a basic plan of the space, mocked up on my system, does the door into the rest of the house, have a recess as drawn or is it flat to aga wall.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Mikey Offline
Ok, so I've done a starter for 10, plans and some pretty pictures attached. Smile

You have enough space for an American style fridge freezer if you'd like one, these retail from about £700 upwards, so there are plenty of options out there. You have a larder to the left which could have drawers internal to hold all your tins and packets etc, and a shallow depth larder the other side, for cereals or crockery as it's 1/2 depth it is much easier to see inside.

I've put the built-in oven and a 4 burner hob to the right of the aga, with a small 50mm post dividing them so you have enough worktop material to support the hob, to frame this I've shown some false walls built out of MDF and painted along with an Oak effect mantle support, this could be a reclaimed piece of Oak or build using carcass material and plinth, depending on if you want a more rustic or cleaner look. It creates what appears to be an original large chimney breast, and helps the oven and hob feel like they belong with the Aga on that wall.

I've left your sink under the small window, and put a platerack above the dishwasher to store everyday plates. No need then for lots of wall cupboards if you struggle to reach them.

The island size is approximately 1100mm wide and 2400mm long so really quite generous, you still have over a metre walkway either side as the fridge freezer is set back in the recess created by your existing front door. The cupboards alongside here are shallower, which gives you more space around your island. Most manufacturers will have a recess on the back of base cupboards which can be trimmed down to make them about 500mm deep or you can add legs onto a wall cabinet and have units 300-360mm deep cupboards instead. A good carpenter can generally reduce standard cupboards without too much issue, using a circular saw for a neat edge, so nothing here is what I would call special, though you'll probably have more scope for carcasses built to preferred depths with an independent retailer than choosing a shed or a builders merchant.

The island has a set of drawers, one for cutlery one deep one for plates and bowls and a second for pots and pans facing the cookers, there is also a twin drawer set on the end of the sink run which is great for holding, bowls and terrines, pyrex dishes etc, anything awkward shaped. Dishwasher next to the sink, shallow depth base unit in front of the support beam would be ideal to house a bin, and there is also a 600mm unit next to it that you could use to house a recycling bin. The overhang for the seating is 350mm so ample depth for knees, you might want to change the worktops I've styled it this way to show that you can get away with two coloured worktops and three colours of doors, and it won't look out of place, it actually gives it a more eclectic feel.

Important things to consider, as your windows are quite small and deep, pick light colours for tall units as they will disappear into the background, and not narrow the space at all. A pale coloured worktop will reflect as much light as possible, into the room but, a contrasting striking worktop on the island will make for a feature detail in the centre of the room. 

Let me know your initial thoughts, and if you want to tweak anything, move things around that's also fine, I'm never precious and have a thick skin, you also have to remember this is only the first concept, so I'd fully expect some modifications, so that it works with how you will use your kitchen. Smile

I can give you a full breakdown of cabinets, elevations, etc to take to or email some local showrooms, when you've settled on a final design that works for you.

I'm a little jealous of this space as it's an extra 700mm wider than my kitchen, so you have enough room for an island whereas I don't. Wink

Hope you like it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 5 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Wow! Thank you Mikey. I will need this evening to digest all this. It takes time to sink in! But the initial layout looks fab - I would never have thought I would have enough room to have cupboards either side.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Mikey Offline
Any questions just shout. Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thank you. I do love the feature of the Aga and a cooker. Though the Aga hasn't got a vent?
I need to digest this. So brilliant to fit units on both sides. But I don't want you getting fed up with me so I'm writing it all down and will ask my questions in one post.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Small chilli

Mikey Offline
No worries Scarlet, the mantle is 850mm off the range so It’s really about being able to light the worksurface. You can fit an extractor over the hob side however and vent it onto the back garden through a 6” vent pipe either in the ceiling or boxed in up at ceiling level.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
There's not much I would change on this. I have been looking at kitchens online today but also investigating septic tanks! Big Grin

On the Aga wall - would two tall unit either side of the Aga and the hob work?
I'm considering whether I could put one of those combo ovens in?  So to make it even have the fridge freezer the opposite side? Would there be enough space? Or is it not possible to have a wall up the side of a cooker?

That would mean having space by the window? Moving the sink to the island? This would leave that wall on its own

Like this but full length units on each end?

I'm also thick skinned so you can tell me that I'm barking up the wrong tree..
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli