Cucumber not thriving
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(13-09-2020, 10:17 AM)JJB Wrote: Mine are the same for about 4ft  but still producing at the tips in the eaves of the GH, even the outdoor one is too.  My CFB are the same, but not still producing.  I put it down to end of life and have resolved (with the beans and sweetcorn) to sow in two batches rather that go off like a headless chicken ( sorry V) in the spring and sowing all and everything far too early.  Spring patience is not one of my virtues.

Headless chicken here. Wink
This year, I've made 2nd sowings of DFB and CFB, Runner beans, courgettes, cucumbers and tomatoes. Its working well. For example, the cucumbers, courgettes and beans are coming to the end of their days but the new ones are taking over. The first sowings of beans are being left for seed production since I am now picking from the second sowing.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Mark_Riga

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I started to do staggered sowings this year for beans. I used to do an early crop of dwarf in the GH which I started again this year. I sowed a late batch ( with saved seed from my early sowing) but unfortunately they are still in their pots Sad
Sowing just a couple of toms early - late Jan/early feb then doing the main batch in March also works well for me.
My cucumber plants look reasonably healthy but I think I may have picked the last one yesterday. They slowed right down a few weeks back and on checking them out earlier I can see a couple of huge fat ones turned yellow that I missed.
That said I'm ready to start making way for my new seedlings Smile my flower sowings are beginning to sprout. Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Bren Offline
I’ve picked 2 Beth alpha cucs just now and there’s 3 more that are 4in long I’ll leave them to get an inch of 2 longer. After that there’s 4 at around 2in long but they will be the last.

edited to say I found 2 more hiding so i've picked them as well. How do they manage to hide so well ??
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
It could well be red spider mite. Never had it before but a pepper near by has mottled leaves and I could just about see some things moving on a leaf I inspected.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Same here, Mark. The aubergines and the DFBs all have the same problems.
I've probably had it before but never thought about why - just thought it was sign of getting past it or a deficiency of summat.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(13-09-2020, 08:48 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(13-09-2020, 10:17 AM)JJB Wrote: Mine are the same for about 4ft  but still producing at the tips in the eaves of the GH, even the outdoor one is too.  My CFB are the same, but not still producing.  I put it down to end of life and have resolved (with the beans and sweetcorn) to sow in two batches rather that go off like a headless chicken ( sorry V) in the spring and sowing all and everything far too early.  Spring patience is not one of my virtues.

Headless chicken here. Wink
This year, I've made 2nd sowings of DFB and CFB, Runner beans, courgettes, cucumbers and tomatoes. Its working well. For example, the cucumbers, courgettes and beans are coming to the end of their days but the new ones are taking over. The first sowings of beans are being left for seed production since I am now picking from the second sowing.

Veggie. Do you remember when you made your second sowings?   I've not got a feel when to sow  the second lot, especially beans and courgettes to ensure a crop.   With sweetcorn I'll  probably sow half early in the GH and the second directly into the soil at the time of planting out the others.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie