Five or Ten a Day - do you?
Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Actually, if you count spices and herbs, it's not that hard. Most weeks I will eat, at some time, 27 plants.
lettuce, cucumber, tomato, pumpkin seeds, apple, wheat, oats, cabbage, potato, carrot, onion, swede, turmeric, cauliflower, raisins, cloves, cinnamon, sweet pepper, pepper spice, parsnip, celery, celeriac, green beans, peanuts, walnuts, chard, mustard.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Thinking about it like that, then yes we eat 30 ish different plants a week, but it's a stretching it a bit when many are in tiny amounts and others severely processed. Can I count the sunflower oil skin cream? Smile
If nothing else it's made me think about what we eat (not that it's going to change anything) , hey, can I count chocolate and coffee/tea as plants? Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Moth, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
^^^ I'm surprised you didn't mention grapes in your wine. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(28-11-2022, 11:44 AM)Veggie Wrote: ^^^ I'm surprised you didn't mention grapes in your wine. Big Grin

Very seldom drink alcohol, nothing against it, but I prefer a cup of tea (how boring). So no wine here very often, but will have champagne around the festive season, if only to drink it up. My boss gives me Ruinart champers each year for Xmas box, I'm amassing quite a cellar. I'll add it to that week's plant list. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
This is interesting.
Every week without fail. onion, garlic, tomato, spuds, beans, Seeds ( sunflower, poppy, pumpkin, linseed, sesame). Spices & herbs ( chilli, cumin, pepper, oregano, cayenne, bay ).

Not sure I’d actually add spice to my final list as they would only be trace elements and not something you could actually live on.

I eat a lot more veg when I’m growing it. And it goes hand in hand with seasonal availability.
So in short no I probably don’t eat 30 plants a week ever.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(11-09-2020, 05:38 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 10:39 AM)Vinny Wrote: I never count how many veg I have a day.I am also a confirmed carnivore, usually having meat with most meals. Most of the veg and fruit I eat comes either from the allotment or the hedgerows.

I love fish as well and usually have it twice a week.

Just saying.
This man, right here. Is talking my language.  Big Grin . 

The fish we eat has to be caught first. We don’t catch, we don’t eat fish.  Mussels we by directly from the farm. Scallops we’ll only by hand dived ( so only for special occasion), salmon we get occasionally ( I’ll say no more  Wink ).

as for 5 a day, not a clue. Better things to do than count vegetables!
How quickly attitudes , options and the bodies needs/wants change. Mine definitely has since I wrote this reply. 
I don’t eat as much meat for multiple reasons. Still feel the same & do the same when it comes to fish. 
life is still to short to properly count how many veg I eat. But I do care a lot more about the veg I eat.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I do count the spices that I use, because so many of them have properties that are great for our bodies. Garlic, turmeric, chilies, and most of the green herbs have healing or beneficial properties of some kind. They count even though they don't provide bulk Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm going to add my veg count to my Recipe for the Day - out of interest. I doubt that I eat 30 different fruit & veg a week - no idea really,
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Small chilli

Bren Offline
(28-11-2022, 08:56 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm going to add my veg count to my Recipe for the Day - out of interest. I doubt that I eat 30 different fruit & veg a week - no idea really,

Off to edit my Recipe for the day,   just checking I'm having toms twice, so they get counted just the once.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Remember the advice that you should eat 30 different fruit and veg a week? #19
It seems that Holland & Barrett have cottoned on to this and have some advice at https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/info/plant-points
They call them "Plant Points".

"Think of Plant Points like your 5-a-day. For many years, we’ve been advised to eat five fruits and vegetables a day to help us get more healthy foods into our diet. Plant Points can be gained from whole foods, powdered food, and herbs & spices and focuses on increasing variety rather than just the number.

To help us count our Plant Points, foods are split into three groups: whole foods which are worth 1 Plant Point, powdered foods which are 1/2 a Plant Point and herbs & spices which are worth a 1/4 of a Plant Point. "

Still no mention of chocolate and wine though. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli