Five or Ten a Day - do you?
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Currently watching a program on Russian nuclear submarine wreak in the norweigan/Russian waters.... lots of fish swimming there...obviously its not leaking yet Sad
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(19-09-2023, 05:44 PM)Veggie Wrote: The early hunter-gatherers would have eaten whatever they could catch or forage, which I understand. These days, the meat that is for sale has little resemblance to those early, free-ranging animals. If you eat organically raised meat, you're getting closer to the original but, these days, livestock can be fed all sorts of mass-produced food supplements and receive all manner of veterinary treatments before it hits your plate. You only have to go back to the BSE outbreak when cattle were fed food supplements that contained parts of other animals, to see how unscrupulous some of the agriculture industry can behave. Whatever you eat, becomes part of you. Antibiotics used on animals pass down, or up, the food chain. Its one of the reasons why I stopped eating meat...........but, each to their own. Big Grin
The same can be said about veg? The veg we eat aren't what our ancestors ate. There were no seed oils just tallow and lard.Plants have been hybradised, genetically modified, highly processed,treatted with fungicide, corn klilled off with glypsophate before harvest and gawd know'swhat else has been done to them!
Apparently the reason glypsophate hasn't been banned is that there are more harmfulll toxins inherant in the vegetables themselves (which usually don't want us to eat them!) than this abhorrant weedkiller holds..........but, each to their own Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
At least we have a modicum of control over the veg we grow on our own plots! Wonder if I can grow 30 different veg/fruit/herbs to eat each week?? That'll be a real Challenge. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(20-09-2023, 11:01 AM)Veggie Wrote: At least we have a modicum of control over the veg we grow on our own plots! Wonder if I can grow 30 different veg/fruit/herbs to eat each week?? That'll be a real Challenge. Big Grin
Yes you are right about the modicum of control but even open pollinated varieties grown by ourselves have toxins within the plant. The plants sole intention is to grow and set seed for it's next generation. It can't run away or fight a predator (which is what we are) so has developed toxins to kill or deter predators, killing them off either slowly or quickly depending on the plant! Some 'tasty'fruits are the exception which require an animal to eat them to spread their seed.
Apart from that how many people only eat what they grow, not many I would think?
There is a food war going on out there and in my view a ketogenic diet, using either animal based products or if need be unprocessed plant based products is the way to go to cut down on obesity and all the nasty life shortening diseases that go with it. Big Grin
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Whatever you say, Vinny. You'd read up on this, I haven't so I'm not going to dispute what you say. However, my view is that the ready availability of cheap, processed and fast foods, laden with artificial flavourings, preservatives, fats and sugar is the problem with obesity not eating fruit and vegetables, meat or fish. What I would call a "Back to basics" way of eating and that's the way I try to eat, without the meat.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
(20-09-2023, 12:47 PM)Veggie Wrote: Whatever you say, Vinny. You'd read up on this, I haven't so I'm not going to dispute what you say. However, my view is that the ready availability of cheap, processed and fast foods, laden with artificial flavourings, preservatives, fats and sugar is the problem with obesity not eating fruit and vegetables, meat or fish. What I would call a "Back to basics" way of eating and that's the way I try to eat, without the meat.
Not knocking you in the least veggie, yours is a good way to eat as well. Cool
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Each to their own, Vinny. Big Grin Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(20-09-2023, 11:01 AM)Veggie Wrote: At least we have a modicum of control over the veg we grow on our own plots! Wonder if I can grow 30 different veg/fruit/herbs to eat each week?? That'll be a real Challenge. Big Grin
I've made a list of the veg/fruit/herbs I grow and pick to see if I can reach 30. There are others that usually don't survive long enough to pick.  Rolleyes
Courgette, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, rocket, kale, Chinese leaves, cress, CFB/DFB, Broad beans, peas, mangetout, pea shoots, potato, carrot, radish, beetroot, Elephant garlic, onion, spring onion, leek, chard, spinach (23 veg)
Apple, pear, peach, strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, gooseberry, jostaberry, blackcurrant, redcurrant, whitecurrant, grapes, quince, medlar, rhubarb (15 fruit)
Mint, sage, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, oregano, bay (7 herbs).

The really big (?impossible) challenge would be to eat 30 of these every week. Some could be frozen (if that counts) but it doesn't look possible for me to do this at the moment.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
I only need  one colour, red, as in meat! Tongue Preferably beef or lamb. Big Grin