Adding to the Flock.
SarrissUK Offline
Awww night night Gwen xx
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Commiserations Veggie on the passing of Gwen the hen
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
My neighbour who has rescue hens that arrive in a truly dreadful state said that “they have 18 months in - so if they manage 18 months out, then I’m happy”. She tries to makes sure that their 18 months out are so good that it compensates in some small way for their first 18 months of such a miserable existence.
I think that’s s lovely way of looking at it.
[-] The following 6 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(22-05-2022, 03:53 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: My neighbour who has rescue hens that arrive in a truly dreadful state said that “they have 18 months in - so if they manage 18 months out, then I’m  happy”. She tries to makes sure that their 18 months out are so good that it compensates in some small way for their first 18 months of such a miserable existence.
I think that’s s lovely way of looking at it.
Heartwarming
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Jay, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
That was my thought when I took on three rescue hens late last year. Turns out they were in lovely condition and laid eggs every day when they came to mine. In the last week I've consistently had six eggs from six hens - can't complain at that. We'll be swimming in them when I get home - the other two don't really eat much eggs.
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its the end of an era for me. Mrs Bronwen Brownhen has flown away to the Great Chicken Coop in the sky. Bye Bye Bronwen x.
I decided a while back that she would be the last hen I'd have as a friend. Avian flu outbreaks every winter have taken some of the pleasure out of having free range chooks.
Once I've cleaned up all the feeders and coop, I'll give them away so that I won't be tempted to have any more. That will leave me with 2 enclosed runs to find a use for. Unfortunately, they're both in the shade for most of the day so not ideal growing spaces. I'm sure I'll think of something. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
Awww I'm sorry for your loss Sad Poor little Bronwen Brownhen. I wouldn't want to be without chickens now, and I don't mean to tempt you, Veggie, but there's so many chicken rescues looking for homes for chickens that I'll never go without Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You won't tempt me, Sarriss - my mind's made up. I've had chickens for about 30 years and most of them have been rescues - that's quite a lot of chooks over the years.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Broadway Offline
God bless Bronwen Brownhen
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
You must be upset Veggie, I bet the dogs will miss her too. Bye bye Bronwen, sleep tight.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie