Starting perennials or biennials in the autumn
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’d sow them in spring so they had time to establish. I did sow hollyhock, lupin & aubretia this spring and they are all doing well. Sorry not what you wanted to hear.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood

doublyjonah Offline
I have asked a similar sort of question in the past. I'm personally too hit-or-miss to give a useful answer, but the thread is here: https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.php?tid=480
[-] The following 3 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(06-07-2021, 10:25 AM)doublyjonah Wrote: I have asked a similar sort of question in the past. I'm personally too hit-or-miss to give a useful answer, but the thread is here: https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.php?tid=480
Now merged with Mcdood's to confuse him. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood

mcdood Offline
It did Smile thanks I'll have a read later
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I should have changed the title but that would have made it too easy for you. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood

toomanytommytoes Offline
I sow in modules or pots in the greenhouse and keep them there until Spring when I'll plant them outside if they're big enough. Many seeds with deep dormancy will happily stay outdoors all winter until they germinate in spring. You don't want the pot to get absolutely sodden though. I did this with some rowan seeds last year, kept outside in a hummus container with holes poked in the lid, but out of the rain. A shed would probably work. There is a method where you sow into plastic milk bottles, cut in half but keeping the top connected (lid off) with a thin flap to act as a lid for venting on hot days.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Ben Higgledy has a Biennial Flower seeds offer - and an article about sowing them https://higgledygarden.com/2018/07/14/bi...ing-patch/
He recommends Foxgloves, Sweet William, Wallflowers, Honesty and Hesperis/Dames Violet.
Sorry Ben, but I have plenty of these seeds but I will find some to sow - especially Sweet William, Wallflowers and Hesperis (as I have enough Foxloves and Honesty already!)
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just waking this thread up and wondering who is sowing flowers for next year now?
I'm going to sow (aka scatter about willy nilly) lots of old poppy seeds tomorrow. I seem to have lots of poppies in packets but very few in the garden!! Wonder why? Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
Sowed some last week. Perennial sunflower, delphiniums and green echinacea. Thompson & Morgan seed though so it'll be a nice surprise if any germinate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(06-07-2021, 06:51 AM)mcdood Wrote: I seem to have limited success with Late summer/Autumn sowing perennials, sometimes just poor/no germination other times seedlings arrive but then die off over winter. I don't really want to sow indoors in Spring as I have so much other stuff going on then. Anyone have good methods that work for this? Do you sow indoors, under glass, outside in containers, outside in ground. When do you sow? Do you prick out and keep protected over winter indoors/ghouse or plant out or just leave in pot outside. . Examples of perennials I may try later this year are Knautia, Centaurea, Verbascum, Lynchnis, Hollyhock, Lupin, Eryngium, Aubretia. Let me know your tips please.
Sow them all now, I often start in a prop them when germinated cover with a plastic lid at night in the GH

#TMTs eryngium I started in Jan? After the seed swap at xmas, I remember I couldn't wait....all flowered this year though Smile

#holyhocks I did in June, but I would give a few a a go now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie