Growing Herbs from Cuttings
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Time to get back into taking cuttings on a daily basis - perhaps.)
Today's cuttings are apple mint. There lots of new stems springing up so I've cut off 10 of them. The bottom leaves will be turned into mint sauce, the stem and top leaves will sit in a jar of water until they root.
My new cunning plan is to swap my cuttings on the gardening freebies site for anything that's going (apart from Montbretia and Vinca).Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

SarrissUK Offline
That's a good idea Veggie! I'm sowing a little more of all my veggies and flowers than I need, hoping to swap with villagers, and to be able to donate to the village's beautiful planters that are dotted about Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Today's cuttings are Orange Mint (sounds nicer than it is). Two runners that had rooted - now in their own little pots.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Lots of jars of cuttings now - Apple mint, Skopelos mint. Rosemary, Pineapple sage, Purple sage, thyme and watercress.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Farendwoman, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
How do you take your Rosemary cuttings Veggie? I never have much luck with mine. While I’m picking your brain about herb cuttings. If you know the secret to getting bay cuttings to take, I’m all ears.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Rosemary I just take the usual length, with the new spring growth, strip the leaves, stick around the edge of a pot and leave in the greenhouse with a plastic bag over. I leave them in that pot for months.

I've never tried bay... I've two many of those here. Maybe softwood cuttings? But any tree would take much longer than the rest.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(17-04-2022, 08:20 PM)Veggie Wrote: Lots of  jars of cuttings now - Apple mint, Skopelos mint. Rosemary, Pineapple sage, Purple sage, thyme and watercress.
I took loads of cuttings from my Jekka plants. Some went in water and some in compost to see which ones rooted first.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(18-04-2022, 07:51 AM)Small chilli Wrote: How do you take your Rosemary cuttings Veggie? I never have much luck with mine. While I’m picking your brain about herb cuttings. If you know the secret to getting bay cuttings to take, I’m all ears.
Most cuttings go in a jar of water - as I'm too mean to put them in compost. Soft ones like mint root very quickly, hard ones like rosemary take longer in water so compost may be preferable. I've just remembered that Babushka/Russian doll way of taking cuttings. (Pot inside a pot inside a pot). https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.p...t=babushka
I have 2 enormous bay trees, both grown from cuttings, can't remember how I did it. Probably in compost. I really should try again. Incidentally, the Bay is covered in fluffy yellow flowers at the moment - probably never happens on a clipped bay tree that has been shaped!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think it's a good year for bay flowers... seem to be everywhere- even the OH commented on it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
My accidental cuttings of the day are Salvia "Hot Lips". Will try the water technique on these.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, Scarlet