Think like a seed!
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I know that some of you mock me for talking to plants but, listen to this, it may make sense to you.Smile

These posts I read about plants bolting, its perfectly natural. What you call "bolting" is a plants' method of self preservation. All a seed wants to do is to grow and reproduce - to create seeds that will also be able to grow and reproduce. Its the natural lifecycle of all living things. Give a living thing the right conditions - water, light, food, space, shelter and it will flourish - whether its a plant or an animal.

As gardeners growing annual crops for food you have  a different agenda. You either want to stop the plant from seeding by nipping off the seedheads (think peas, beans, tomatoes here) - this make the plant try again to make seeds - or you want to stop it from seeding by harvesting it before its time (think biennial plants that set seed in their 2nd year). 

If you don't give your plants the conditions they need (like not enough water, room to grow, protection from its enemies) the plant will struggle and realise that the only way it can reproduce itself is to "go for it" whether the time is right or not - or to die.

As a gardener, you may be miffed when your onions/lettuce etc bolt, but ask yourself Why? Only you will know exactly what you've done or not done to cause this - planted too early or too late maybe. Or too closely,  too hot, too dry.

Next year, try it differently but not with the seeds from plants that have bolted - as they may have developed a weakness for "premature seeding" that you don't want in the next generation. Above all, don't worry about it, use it to your advantage. Set aside some of your best plants and let them produce seeds at the right time. Think of all the money you'll save. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Mikey

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I agree. All my red lettuce is in the process of bolting. I know exactly why. I left the seedlings in a very small pot which got root bound, then separated the poor little blighters forcibly and planted them. No wonder they were stressed! No amount of watering made up for that start in life.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I think it can be summed up in two words *Common Sense*.......... albeit sometimes retrospectively! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Mikey, Veggie

Mikey Offline
And you call me weird. Tongue

I don’t talk to them I’m the fat controller, I show them where to go and tell them don’t be late. If I take my eye off them for too long they become unruly and boisterous, so it’s all about the schedule, I try to keep them on the straight and narrow and paying attention. Tight ship what what. Big Grin

My tomatoes are very unruly especially the San Marzano they keep trying to grow new stems on the ends of flowers it is very annoying, I blame it on the fact their English and Welsh is so poor.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Mamzie, Veggie