Pea saving questions
doublyjonah Offline
Hi all,

I have some white crown-flowered peas drying right now. I have two questions (which may both be quite dumb...).

1. I believe a little pea moth grub crawled out of one of the drying peas when I opened the pod. Is this pea and/or whole pod destined for the bin? (Gross but almost weirdly cute as well...)

2. Can you use dried/drying seed from the same year to start a new plant?

Thanks Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
No idea about the Pea Moth grub but I would't risk saving from that pod in case the other peas have been grubbed.
No idea about your other question either but I've found that the fresher the seed, the better it germinates - so, if the pea has dried completely, it should grow whenever you sow it. The problem with sowing seeds "out of season" is not getting them to germinate, but in providing the right conditions for them to grow on to maturity.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah, JJB

doublyjonah Offline
I considered trying to grow them in pots in the GH, but then I just started wondering if they needed a certain period of time or cold before use. It's bulging with tomatoes at the moment, so I'll have to wait to find out the answer to my question.
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man

Mikey Offline
Here’s a different question for you, if you are shelling peas to eat and a pod has a grub in it do you A) throw the pod away, B) pick out the unaffected peas or C) say excellent additional protein. Smile
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Bren Offline
Mikey I go with 'B) pick out the unaffected peas' often it just one pea that has a grub.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Mikey

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
D) Give it to the chicken!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man