Potato advice please
Broadway Offline
Hello folks

I'd only grown potatoes in a few buckets in previous years but hopefully have a few more from this year's bed.

My question is around lifting and storing. The bed will not be used again this year therefore can I leave them in the ground and lift when I want to eat them or will they eventually rot??

Regards lifting and storing what have you found to be your most successful method?

As always thank you for your adviceSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Roitelet Offline
I lift mine and spread them out to dry in the shed overnight. Sort them out the following day and put aside all those that are damaged to be used first. Then store a in paper sacks or cardboard boxes in a cool dark place.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man

Bren Offline
I do the same as Roitelet using paper sacks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
Thanks folks
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Depends whether they are earlies or maincrop. Earlies (and second earlies if planted), I lift as needed as they keep on growing and not too much slug damage. I lift maincrop all together in September usually unless they die down earlier. These tend to get more slug damage so I don't leave them in longer that I have to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Like Mark, I lift my earlies as and when needed in the kitchen these will be finished before the mains kick in. With the mains depending on how many I have grown have often stayed in the ground till November them it’s lift them, dry them in the wheelbarrow in the shed, when dry brush them down then store undamaged ones in a cardboard box layered with straw.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Mark_Riga

Broadway Offline
Thanks Mark / CtM,

I have First, Second, and Main. I will lift the First and Second as and when for now.

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
It can depend on whether you are plagued by keel slugs in the ground which can ruin your crop? Huh

Freshly dug is best as far as I am concerned, but because I have other uses for the ground the maincrops are in, I will probably lift them.

I usually store mine in thick cardboard boxes as opposed to bags. Shy
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Mark_Riga

Broadway Offline
Ok thanks Vinny