Growing grapes
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(07-10-2022, 02:22 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(07-10-2022, 12:25 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 08:58 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: Jay's mum surprised me with a grapevine she bought me in Asda! What a nice surprise!
They're dessert grapes. I know nothing about grapes, other than I think it needs to be planted outside, but with the greenery inside the greenhouse. Is that right? Any other tips?
Definitely not - it will shade your greenhouse completey. They are thugs.

if you can train it on a south facing wall it will grow well.
......not if you keep it cut back and confined to one side Cool . I used to grow a grapevine and tomatoes in the same greenhouse quite successfully! Tongue Big Grin I have no chance of growing grapes outdoors in my area. The plants grow ok but not warm enough for grape formation. Sick
Maybe the variety? Though I am a lot further south than youBig Grin...couldn't even give them awsy here, mine produced buckets of fruit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
Wow, ok, I think it might struggle here - it's very windy, and that makes it cold against my south facing fences. I have no south facing walls.

I'm quite handy with a secateur so I'll give that a go, but I'll research more first. Thank you everyone Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

MartinH Offline
I think I am giving up on my greenhouse grapevine again this year.

All the bunches look like this:

Is it just mildew, or is something else going on?

They all shrivelled in July last year, so this year I've been making sure the plant gets plenty of water.

Suggestions for getting a crop in 2024?

Thanks!
[-] The following 2 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
You got further than me Martin. Rolleyes I now have TWO grapevines feeding into the greenhouse and not a grape to be seen.One looks healthy and luxurient and the other looks like an early autumn has come with the leaves turning red. Sick

Always next year I say................if I live that long! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, MartinH, Veggie

MartinH Offline
Well, these don't look at all appetising.

Anyone got any suggestions for next season? If not I think I'll have to cut my losses and dig the bladdy thing up.

[-] The following 2 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sorry, Martin, I've no idea of the cause (unless its erratic watering as in tomatoes) but, they are rather cute - like a bunch/pod? of whales. I'll get my coat >>>>>>..
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, MartinH, Vinny

MartinH Offline
I'm pretty sure it's caused by Powdery Mildew. The plant gets one more chance next year, I'm going to buy some chemicals and spray it at the very first sign.
[-] The following 3 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I think it depends on the weather. We have had a 'damp' year this year so fungal diseases are rampant! Sick
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, MartinH, Veggie