Early Potato - Swift
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
They got a bit burnt by a very late frost here even though covered with fleece. I also planted some rocket. The rocket recovered and their yield is OK for me, about 1.2 to 1.8kg per plant now but the swift never made any more foliage and, digging up the first 4 plants there was just about 1.5kg between them, enough for 4 servings.

Has anyone else ever tried this variety with good results?

What I harvested was a decidedly better potato than rocket but it would have to do far better than that to be worth growing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Never heard of them, what type of potatoes are they ?, waxy, floury, etc....
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Greenfingers Offline
I have grown Swift for the last 3 years. This year I grew some in the greenhouse border and they were great. But I also grew some outdoors which although covered with fleece got caught by frost. These never really recovered and the crop was disappointing. I will grow them again next year but cover them more carefully if there is frost forecast or plant a little later.
[-] The following 2 users Like Greenfingers's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I'll give them another go then next year and protect them better from frosts.

Can, swift is an early potato.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Greenfingers

Admin Offline
The Boss
(25-07-2020, 11:36 PM)Can the Man Wrote: Never  heard of them, what type of potatoes are they ?, waxy, floury, etc....

Hailed as one of the earliest croppers, it is claimed that you can be dishing these potatoes up in as little as 7 weeks after you plant them. They produce a high yield of white-skinned, oval potatoes that have a creamy coloured flesh that is ideal for boiling. In growth, they are compact, which makes them ideal for containers, and they show a good resistance to scab and virus
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • Can the Man