Tomato Gallery
Garrett Offline
(28-08-2022, 03:50 PM)Farendwoman Wrote:
(28-08-2022, 03:44 PM)Garrett Wrote: Golden Grape is a funny one. It's surprisingly late for a determinate small cherry. I sowed mine back in early March and have been picking since early August. 
Wow - they look good. what's the flavour like?
I’ve been really enjoying Galina /Galena. Really uniform fruits (as if that matters), and no splitting at all. Plus a sharp/sweet flavour I really like. Will def be growing these again. Seed circle supplied - can’t remember who provided them- but thank you!
The Golden Grape and Galina both came from me. I was trying different yellow tomatoes last year and they were my favourites.

Golden Grape is very sweet with a bit of sharpness, not particularly tangy, very juicy with a thin skin.
[-] The following 4 users Like Garrett's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(28-08-2022, 03:58 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: All my peace vine split before I could pick them.
I was hoping to impress my ageing hippy/green friends with them!
For tomatoes which split easily it can be better to pick them before they're completely ripe. I pick a lot of our tomatoes before they're fully ripe anyway since heavy rain or watering is supposed to dilute the flavour. This is why I prefer growing tomatoes in the ground now as they have extensive root systems which can go searching for their own water and take up only what they need, whereas pot grown tomatoes will suck up whatever you give them.
[-] The following 7 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Garrett, JJB, Mark_Riga, Scarlet, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(28-08-2022, 04:30 PM)Garrett Wrote:
(28-08-2022, 03:50 PM)Farendwoman Wrote:
(28-08-2022, 03:44 PM)Garrett Wrote: Golden Grape is a funny one. It's surprisingly late for a determinate small cherry. I sowed mine back in early March and have been picking since early August. 
Wow - they look good. what's the flavour like?
I’ve been really enjoying Galina /Galena. Really uniform fruits (as if that matters), and no splitting at all. Plus a sharp/sweet flavour I really like. Will def be growing these again. Seed circle supplied - can’t remember who provided them- but thank you!
The Golden Grape and Galina both came from me. I was trying different yellow tomatoes last year and they were my favourites.

Golden Grape is very sweet with a bit of sharpness, not particularly tangy, very juicy with a thin skin.
Then - many thanks go to you Garrett!
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've grown Garret's Galina too this year, they've been very productive and tasty.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Garrett, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(28-08-2022, 02:36 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Nagina F1

Also known as Crimson Plum F1, from the same breeder (Burpee) as Crimson Crush etc. Very good yields of 8-10 fruit per truss, average fruit weight 50-60g. Plums aren't usually the best for fresh eating but this one is quite tasty raw with good sweetness and acidity and rich tomato flavour, the only draw back is a thick skin. Supposed to be very blight resistant. So far we have harvested 7kg from 9 plants with lots more to come. A definite keeper for me in terms of yield and earliness, and if it's as blight resistant as reported then I could see this becoming the most popular plum tomato to grow. £1.09 for 10 seeds from Premier Seeds Direct.
Still pumping out the tomatoes, we've harvested over 20kg so far from 9 plants. Looks like there are a couple more kilograms left, too. Incredible yield from a 4x4ft space.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I thought tomatoes didn't cross very easily. This self seeded tomato looks a bit like a gardeners delight but the number of tomatoes on a truss are in keeping with Alicante. I tried one which was pleasant enough but more like a small Alicante. My question is, when you save tomato seeds, do you need to take precautions so they don't cross and if so what?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Crosses are unlikely but they do happen, I've had 3 crossed varieties in the last 2 years, bought from different sellers in France. If you want to be certain of no crossing then you need to isolate the flowers so insects cannot get in there. I use large organza bags and put them over a truss before the flowers open. You need larger bags because the truss will keep on growing before all of the flowers have set. Giving the truss a tickle every day will ensure good pollination.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I've been picking tomatoes just before fully ripe and thought these came off an Omar's Lebanese but now they are more or less ripe, I suspect they are Brandywine. Last year, all my Brandywine were red but there is a yellow variety. Not tried it yet but i like the look of it. I'll need to watch which plant they came from in future.

[-] The following 5 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Scarlet, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
I pick before fully ripe too, especially if I'm going to water. A lot of the outdoor cherries have been splitting because of all the rain. Also, the less water you give the better the flavour. There is a technique called dry farming where you don't water the plants at all, it's supposed to give the best flavoured tomatoes ever.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(23-09-2022, 02:55 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(28-08-2022, 02:36 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Nagina F1

Also known as Crimson Plum F1, from the same breeder (Burpee) as Crimson Crush etc. Very good yields of 8-10 fruit per truss, average fruit weight 50-60g. Plums aren't usually the best for fresh eating but this one is quite tasty raw with good sweetness and acidity and rich tomato flavour, the only draw back is a thick skin. Supposed to be very blight resistant. So far we have harvested 7kg from 9 plants with lots more to come. A definite keeper for me in terms of yield and earliness, and if it's as blight resistant as reported then I could see this becoming the most popular plum tomato to grow. £1.09 for 10 seeds from Premier Seeds Direct.
Still pumping out the tomatoes, we've harvested over 20kg so far from 9 plants. Looks like there are a couple more kilograms left, too. Incredible yield from a 4x4ft space.
The final yield was 29.371kg. They're doing really well outside again this year and have been producing ripe fruit for a few weeks already. Barely touched by the blight that's around, so far.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie