Tomato Gallery
toomanytommytoes Offline
Matt's Hornet

From breeder Tom Wagner who is most well known for Green Zebra. It's from a cross between Casaday's Folly and Matt's Wild Cherry. No taste review for this one as the plant conked out after it was blown down by the wind and the stem was damaged by me, so these were ripened completely off the vine. Cool looking tomato though. Pretty good yielder and may have some resistance to blight from Matt's Wild Cherry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 8 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Proserpina, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
Looks like a wonky Blush
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

Oregon Spring

I grow this one most years as an early bush tomato. The tomatoes are larger than a cherry but not too big that they take a long time to ripen.
Flavour is good.

Oregon Spring

85 days, determinate — The regular leaf plants of 'Oregon Spring' produce large, red, fruits; the first fruits to mature are nearly seedless (parthenocarpic). Another interesting aspect of 'Oregon Spring' is that it sets fruit under the cool spring temperature conditions of the Maritime Northwest. Verticillium wilt race 1 resistant.

Bred by Dr. James R. Baggett of Oregon State University and introduced in 1984. 'Oregon Spring' is a stabilized cross between 'Starshot' and an early maturing, prthenocarpic,Russian variety called 'Severianin'. Each packet contains approximately 20 seeds, and there are about 85 seeds per 0.25 gram.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Spec, toomanytommytoes

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(12-09-2021, 04:01 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Matt's Hornet

From breeder Tom Wagner who is most well known for Green Zebra. It's from a cross between Casaday's Folly and Matt's Wild Cherry. No taste review for this one as the plant conked out after it was blown down by the wind and the stem was damaged by me, so these were ripened completely off the vine. Cool looking tomato though. Pretty good yielder and may have some resistance to blight from Matt's Wild Cherry.
I've been eating it! thank you Smile

Mine are grown in the greenhouse, lots of fruit and very good flavour. Son has been choosing these over any of the others.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Spec Offline
(12-09-2021, 11:28 PM)Veggie Wrote: Oregon Spring

I grow this one most years as an early bush tomato. The tomatoes are larger than a cherry but not too big that they take a long time to ripen.
Flavour is good.

Oregon Spring

85 days, determinate — The regular leaf plants of 'Oregon Spring' produce large, red, fruits; the first fruits to mature are nearly seedless (parthenocarpic). Another interesting aspect of 'Oregon Spring' is that it sets fruit under the cool spring temperature conditions of the Maritime Northwest. Verticillium wilt race 1 resistant.

Bred by Dr. James R. Baggett of Oregon State University and introduced in 1984. 'Oregon Spring' is a stabilized cross between 'Starshot' and an early maturing, prthenocarpic,Russian variety called 'Severianin'. Each packet contains approximately 20 seeds, and there are about 85 seeds per 0.25 gram.

Who was the seed supplier Veggie
Also can anyone tell me if the taste changes with tomatoes as you feed them, by that I mean do the tomatoes lose their taste between feeds if you are feeding once or twice a week, or even feeding every other day?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-09-2021, 06:43 PM)Spec Wrote:

Flavour is good.

Oregon Spring

Also can anyone tell me if the taste changes with tomatoes as you feed them, by that I mean do the tomatoes lose their taste  between feeds if you are feeding once or twice a week, or even feeding every other day?
Yes, I've found they can also be tasteless if you haven't kept up with a good watering regime
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

toomanytommytoes Offline
It's often thought that watering too much makes tomatoes taste bland. That's definitely my experience with tomatoes grown in pots outdoors, if we have a very wet spell where the compost stays saturated, they just taste bleh. Underwatering on the other hand can lead to problems with blossom end rot, but that's usually more of an issue with larger or plum varieties.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man

toomanytommytoes Offline
(13-09-2021, 06:23 PM)Scarlet Wrote:

Mine are grown in the greenhouse, lots of fruit and very good flavour. Son has been choosing these over any of the others.
Great to hear! I'll give them another go next year and try to save seed.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-09-2021, 06:43 PM)Spec Wrote:

Flavour is good.

Oregon Spring

Also can anyone tell me if the taste changes with tomatoes as you feed them, by that I mean do the tomatoes lose their taste  between feeds if you are feeding once or twice a week, or even feeding every other day?
Sorry, Spec, Don't remember as I've had them years and I'm probably growing them from saved seeds now.
I water my GH toms every day in summer, just a splash. One watering can for about a dozen plants. I've been adding a glug of Hot Bin juice to it about twice a week. Can't say I've notice any difference in flavour.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-09-2021, 11:15 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(13-09-2021, 06:23 PM)Scarlet Wrote:

Great to hear! I'll give them another go next year and try to save seed.
I'll save seed. I have plenty - I haven't done very many varieties. So good to get that one saved.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie