Plum Glut Recipes
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm not making jam this year - I don't eat it and even though we have used up jars of the stuff while in Lockdown I don't want it using up my cupboard space....so recipes please! I have dozen some after cutting in half and taking the stone out.

I made this pudding yesterday. The recipe said Apricots but I subbed with plums - and OMG! It was delicious. There wasn't any left this morning! Wink

Plum and Almond Upside Down Cake. 

8-9inch cake tin. Buttered.
Slice the plums in half.
For the sauce:

50g butter, plus more for the tin
fresh apricots - I used plums - halved        and stoned. Enough to line the tin
125g caster sugar
1 tbsp runny honey

For the cake
150g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
100g plain flour
1½ tsp baking powder
100g ground almonds
1 tsp vanilla extract
125ml full-fat milk

Butter a 20-23cm cake tin and prepare the apricots.
Put the sugar and 75ml water into a small saucepan. Heat slowly until the sugar has dissolved. When the sugar has melted bring to the boil and watch until the syrup starts to turn to caramel (it will turn golden first). Swish the pan a bit. Once it becomes caramel (you will know by the smell and colour) take off the heat and add the butter. Stir once the butter has melted. Pour into the tin and place the apricots, close together and cut-side down, on top.

Preheat the oven to 180C/170C fan*/gas mark 4.

To make the cake, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then add the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition (add a couple of spoonfuls of flour if it starts to curdle). Sift together the flour and baking powder and stir in the almonds. Add the vanilla, then the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk.

Spoon this over the apricots and bake for 50 minutes. When the cake is cooked, a skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean. Run a knife between the cake and the tin and invert on to a plate. If some apricots have stuck to the tin, replace them on the cake.

Gently heat the honey. Using a pastry brush, glaze the top of the cake. The honey will run down the sides to give a lush, home-made look. Leave to cool. The cake is lovely with crème fraîche or a mixture of sweetened Greek yogurt and double cream.

It was delicious! I didn't use the honey as I forgot!
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
What about plum wine.

https://andhereweare.net/quick-easy-plum-wine/
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I made plum whiskey liquor today.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
So miffed off - we had tons of plums this year and I forgot about this cake!
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I've made spicy plum sauce in the past, the sort for stir fries and the like.
I can't find the recipe I used Sad
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I kept lots of recipes in an app on my iPad.... I wish I had just bought myself a good old book like my grandmother had....sometimes it just so much nicer to thumb through a book.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
A Glut of plums is just a memory this year but I have made Pickled Plums in the past. The recipe is also just a memory but they were nice!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(31-08-2022, 09:32 AM)Scarlet Wrote: I kept lots of recipes in an app on my iPad.... I wish I had just bought myself a good old book like my grandmother had....sometimes it just so much nicer to thumb through a book.

It's even more pleasant thumbing through mum's or 'grandma's recipe book written in their own hand, even going through mine from when I first started to cook brings back memories and it's amazing how tastes have changed (and how my cooking from scratch has deteriorated  Confused).  Apps are useful but don't bring nostalgia with them.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie