Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
NO.......but I try my best. Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, SarrissUK, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(30-06-2020, 08:30 AM)Admin Wrote: Not deliberately using pest control, but can I say I am organic...no

I have no idea what is in the manure I get but know its aminopyralid free.

I just follow the ants to find hidden pests on crops and netting on brassicas.

Thanks for highlighting the aminopryalid problem, I had to web search it and now realise the horrible effects.  I've signed a petition for its ban.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, SarrissUK, Veggie

Roitelet Offline
I try my best! I only use weed killers when there’s is no other option. No imported manure and only use organic fertilizer or natural teas to feed the plants.
[-] The following 4 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, SarrissUK, Veggie

Mikey Offline
I’m probably more tight fisted blinkered cart horse than conscious avoider. I make my own teas, grow comfrey, nettles, dandelions (I’m not exactly cultivating this one), and gather seaweed for this purpose. I actually don’t mind the aroma though you wouldn’t want to eat a sandwich without first washing your hands.

I’ve been known to use BFB, and lime on my beds. I’ve also hand washed leaves with ecover but, I’m a bit gentler than me mam was with my face.

I have a weed wand for what it’s worth, prefer to regularly pull weeds rather than burn them though. OH uses the green dog friendly slug pellets around her hostas, I prefer coffee grounds and powdered egg shell myself.

My two issues are probably compost and seeds, these are not specifically organic and not always peat free, if I’m not paying attention. I can’t make enough compost for all my needs, which is about 3 cubic metres a year so I have to buy in. This year is the first where I’ve not bought any compost and it’s been difficult I’m not gonna lie. I’m not bothered really if my seeds are organic, if you aren’t specifically growing organically and surrounded by other dedicated organic growers can you call yourself organic.

I’m interested more in people’s homemade recipes to combat wee beasties, than their bought in sprays.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(29-06-2020, 12:17 PM)Veggie Wrote: I feed my toms with Tomorite or Seaweed extract - depends on whats to hand at the time.
Don't use weedkiller  but have been using vinegar and washing up liquid on the marestail and other weeds in the block paving. Its knocking it back, if not killing it completely.
Use chicken manure pellets and sometimes BFB as feed.
Net the brassicas and some fruit.
Share the rest with wildlife.
Hey VC, tell me about this vinegar and washing up liquid for mares tail, it has managed to even grow up though the extra soil and gravel I put in for my poly tunnel. It’s all around pat of my yard where I just have gravel. Thanks
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Its just vinegar, a squirt of washing up liquid and a couple of tablespoons of salt, in a garden sprayer. I buy the cheapest own brand malt vinegar 21p at Asda & Morrisons https://groceries.asda.com/product/malt-...egar/36648
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(04-07-2020, 05:49 PM)Veggie Wrote: Its just vinegar, a squirt of washing up liquid and a couple of tablespoons of salt, in a garden sprayer. I buy the cheapest own brand malt vinegar 21p at Asda & Morrisons https://groceries.asda.com/product/malt-...egar/36648

I'll try this on our patio that has all sorts coming up in the cracks now and see what happens.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
It worked really quickly on the leaves - turning them brown. They dried up in the sun and you could stamp on them and they turned to powder. It was very satisfying.
Went over them a 2nd time as there were bits missed on the first round.
Probably won't kill it but it certainly knocked it back and the paving looks a lot better now.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.