Sourdough
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-06-2020, 11:04 AM)Mikey Wrote: I'm hoping this will upload, a video I did a couple of weeks ago with a high hydration slap and fold bench technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbBLdA7hWg

Let me know if it doesn't link. I was wetting my hands after every few fold and turns.
I think your slap and fold technique is attracting the wrong sort of comments.  Blush  Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot

Mikey Offline
(28-06-2020, 03:14 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(28-06-2020, 11:04 AM)Mikey Wrote: I'm hoping this will upload, a video I did a couple of weeks ago with a high hydration slap and fold bench technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbBLdA7hWg

Let me know if it doesn't link. I was wetting my hands after every few fold and turns.
I think your slap and fold technique is attracting the wrong sort of comments.  Blush  Wink
Well, there were two comments in no time at all but, they seem to have disappeared from my timeline so I'm not sure if youtube bots remove them. There are no comments now as far as I can tell. Having never used youtube to do anything but search for videos it's all a bit new to me. You are right though I should be more aware of how I title it even though that is technically the correct terminology.  Blush
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I reported the comments as spam, so that's probably why they disappeared. I was impressed by your technique though. Slap and fold always seems to end with me scraping the wet mess off my hands and kitchen surface, rather than a nice smooth chunk of dough!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Veggie

Mikey Offline
Thank you Proserpina, I love being part of a collective garden brain you can always rely on the fact that someone with more knowhow will be along soon. Smile

The key to this technique is to wet the surface and your hands first, that way nothing particularly sticks. Not too much water though as you don't want to massively increase the hydration. Wink
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its a pity they've gone. i wanted to wind you up about them. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey

Bren Offline
Nice looking loaves Mikey Smile
I’ve not tried the water/slap method so for my next loaf I’m going to give it a go Instead of my usual way of folding in the bowl after covering my hands in olive oil. Your way does produce a good crumb Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I'm making a sourdough of sorts tomorrow. Weighed the starter (off the top of radiator to get it going after a few days in fridge). It weighed 330g and first mix called for 150g starter, 300g flour and 450ml water. So I do 330 -150 gives 180 or 90g flour and water each too much so I added 210g flour and 360ml warm water to get the right weight (360g water easier to measure with a scale so do that).

I'll leave that now in large bowl covered with damp dish-cloth over-night.

In the morning is where I'll cheat a little sometimes. Before doing anything though, I take a spoonful of the mix for my starter for next time. I'll weigh out 1200g flour and rub in 30g sugar, 12g salt and 30ml olive oil and add this. I'll also add a teaspoon of dried active yeast started in a jar and 450ml warm water. Leave to rise then knead (using flour) once and leave to rise again. Knead and split between 3 loaf tins and bake of 38min. when nicely risen. I use 50-50 wholemeal/strong white flour.
Sometimes I don't add the yeast. It takes longer to rise and has a stronger flavour. In this case, I cover the tins with foil for first 30min then bake for another 15minutes.

I'm meeting my daughter for a walk tomorrow so could be evening before it goes in the oven.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Bread just out of oven now. kneaded a couple of times during the day. First time the dough was very like normal sourdough, secont more like a yeast dough.

First pic is the sponge at 10am this morning before adding the extra flour and yeast, the second is the loaves cooling now.

Could have put them in oven a lot sooner but not in any hurry today.

[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Latest bread not long out of oven. No added yeast this time, straight sourdough. I treat it as I do normal yeasty bread: 2 kneadings after mixing then into bread tins and left to rise (this time of year on a radiator. They went into oven with rounded tops but came out a lot flatter. Not sure why but it tastes ok which is the main thing. 
Due to the lockdown, there is a bit of clutter in the background (not had a visitor to require tidying for a long time).

[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Looks a lovely loaf Mark.......now where is that butterSmile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga