Greenfly on potato flowers
Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I have some potatoes growing in the poly tunnel and during the week noticed a lot of greenfly on the flowers. I sprayed them with Bug Off,  but they keep coming back. I’ve never experienced green fly on potatoes before, has anyone else ?, any comments or suggestions please.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Mikey Offline
New one on me, they shouldn't effect the tuber mind. I'd look at it like this, if they are on your potatoes they are not on other surface edibles. Win/win.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Thanks Mikey
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Mikey

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Greenfly are the main spreaders of viruses in potatoes, the peach and potato aphid. This is why they tend to be grown in Scotland and coastal Northern Ireland where the wind tends to blow the winged form away to sea - according to Lawrence D Hills.

I've found them in the past on the sprouts when the potatoes were left chitting in a conservatory near some pot plants brought in for the winter. The greenfly in our garden seem to prefer nettles, this year at any rate which suits me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Thanks Mark

Mikey Offline
I grow nettles in a tub to attract the blackfly away from my runner beans, I put them close by, and move them once infested. A little mild soapy water something like ecover seems to diminish them though.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man