Wrinkled seed potatoes
Jimny14 Offline
I have found some wrinkled up very well chatted early potatoes (think they're charlottes). I planted them yesterday, some in grow bags, some in ground I.e where I had space available. I'm guessing that as long as they have enough reserves left to sprout and make a few leaves they should be ok and create a later crop of spuds. 

Has anyone got any experience of doing this? Did it work fine?
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Mikey Offline
We all get wrinkly as we age, we still work though. Smile
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 5 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Jimny14, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
(22-06-2020, 04:43 PM)Mikey Wrote: We all get wrinkly as we age, we still work though. Smile

This is what I was wondering, as I've noticed humans when we get wrinkly tend not to work as well in some ways as we did when we were wrinkle free. I was just wondering if it were the same with potatoes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Its when they stop chatting, you should worry. Wink
In answer to your question - sort of - yes, I have planted some old wrinklies but, there are degrees of wrinkliness. I've planted some that were all chat and no body - however, I've no idea what happened afterwards.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! I'm sure yours will be fine, Jimny!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I’ve sowed wrinklies before and they grew but they were main crop not earlies but I would still expect yours to grow
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Jimny14

Jimny14 Offline
Ggrrr auto correct on new phone! Will have to write chit in to it a few more times.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Its far for fun to think of spuds chatting as they sit around, waiting to be planted. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14

MartinH Offline
I have planted the old wrinkly ones before, they grew just fine. So a couple of weeks ago I put four left-over Charlotte tubers into buckets of compost, they are through already.

The tubers I planted were shrivelled and wrinkly, the chits had formed little bulbs at the base. My granddaughter had broken one of those chits off, so I planted that on its own in a three inch pot in late May. It grew, so I've potted it on into a bigger pot. It's made a nice healthy looking potato plant already, so I'm looking forward to see what sort of crop it makes.
[-] The following 4 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14, PyreneesPlot, Veggie