My Calendar Part 1 - The 3 season year.
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(21-06-2020, 06:34 PM)Veggie Wrote: The summer Equinox was yesterday ....

Never heard of this one before, we just have a spring and autumn equinox. Is it special to Wales?

I find I'm too busy weeding and harvesting at the moment to think about sowing anything else that would need looking after. What with tomatoes, potatoes needing digging up, weeds everywhere, apples,pears, plums and cauliflower all coming at once and what do you do with 12 cabbages all at the same time.
If I planted one seed a week for 12 weeks, would they come in succession?
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Well spotted, Mark Smile At least you read it!!
I tried the one seed a week experiment once...........the answer's NO................but this leads me on nicely to My Calendar Part 2 - the 13 month year when you sow the same seeds (almost) every 4th week of the year.
Week 1 I sow Root veg
Week 2 - Shoots like Alliums
Week 3 - Fruits - peas, beans, tomatoes etc
Week 4 - Leaves - brassicas and lettuce .

So for a succession of cabbages you sow a few every 4 weeks - obviously changing the varieties to match the seasons.

This is what I try to do - but usually fail miserably because I forget - although my computer diary reminds me every day which week it is - this week is Fruits and I plant to sow some DFBs and dwarf peas for the GH and some Wizard Field Beans for outdoors. Going to experiment with a late sowing of courgettes and cucumbers too, just to see if its possible to sow this late.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Eyren, Small chilli

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(24-08-2020, 11:14 PM)Veggie Wrote: Well spotted, Mark Smile At least you read it!!
I tried the one seed a week experiment once...........the answer's NO................but this leads me on nicely to My Calendar Part 2 - the 13 month year when you sow the same seeds (almost) every 4th week of the year.
Week 1 I sow Root veg
Week 2 - Shoots like Alliums
Week 3 - Fruits - peas, beans, tomatoes etc
Week 4 - Leaves - brassicas and lettuce .

So for a succession of cabbages you sow a few every 4 weeks - obviously changing the varieties to match the seasons.

This is what I try to do - but usually fail miserably because I forget - although my computer diary reminds me every day which week it is - this week is Fruits and I plant to sow some DFBs and dwarf peas for the GH and some Wizard Field Beans for outdoors. Going to experiment with a late sowing of courgettes and cucumbers too, just to see if its possible to sow this late.

This is almost a moon gardening calendar, except starting with the New Moon it would be:

Week 1 - Leaves and shoots
Week 2 - Fruits and flowers
Week 3 - Roots
Week 4 - no sowing

Like you I often end up sowing in the "wrong" week because life is never that tidy, but having it as a framework brings some order to the chaos of gardening! 
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Eyren, I've tried Moon Gardening a couple of times but its too complicated for me! I can't be doing with something that changes during the day as well as each day.
My simple mind can just about remember what day it is. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm with Mark here. Far too busy to even think about sowing seriously, plus I haven't got a sowing bench available (it's usually in the gh which are both full of growing stuff).
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(03-09-2020, 09:18 AM)JJB Wrote: I'm with Mark here.  Far too busy to even think about sowing seriously, plus I haven't got a sowing bench available (it's usually in the gh which are both full of growing stuff).
Who said anything about "sowing seriously"? I don't do anything "seriously".  Tongue

My seed sowing bench is in the kitchen and the propagators are there and in the bedroom. A house is really just another bit of the garden.  Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mikey, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
For anyone who's interested in Lunar gardening, here's a simple calendar https://uk.rhythmofnature.net/gardener-calendar

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(03-09-2020, 09:45 AM)Veggie Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 09:18 AM)JJB Wrote: I'm with Mark here.  Far too busy to even think about sowing seriously, plus I haven't got a sowing bench available (it's usually in the gh which are both full of growing stuff).
Who said anything about "sowing seriously"? I don't do anything "seriously".  Tongue

My seed sowing bench is in the kitchen and the propagators are there and in the bedroom. A house is really just another bit of the garden.  Big Grin

I think we can surmise, quite correctly,  that you live alone.  Either that or you are very much your own womanSmile   more than likely  both.  I can't imagine my OH with his love of straight lines and order being too happy with propagators in the bedroom nor the kitchen.  I get plaintive remarks about all the tomatoes on the counter and buckets of produce on the back door step and plants on the windowsill.  Although to be fair he's fascinated by progress of the begonia leaf cuttings that are now beginning to flower, so he's not all curmudgeon.
Greetings from Salisbury

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've never had any disagreements about "gardening" indoors, just as I've never complained about car parts, electrical wiring or whatever else came indoors to be worked on.
My Dad used to take the engine out of his Austin 7 and strip it down on the kitchen table. My Mum never complained - guess its all part of the way I grew up. Smile

For the record, I don't live alone.

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I remember motorbike parts and gunk in the sink at home when I was growing up. OH was brought up by mum and grandma just after the war. I don't believe messes were allowed indoors. Nurture versus nature probably working there.
Glad you're not alone. I dread Paul karking it in many ways, obviously, Big Grin being by myself being one, very selfish. Luckily we can both talk about it and laugh.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie