Dahlias - Photo Gallery
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Some of my dahlias are flowering now. I find that on some photos I take, they look a bit like gelly so I leave them out. Not sure when I'll be able to get round to weeding them all.
Could be a competition: name all the weeds you can find in the pictures.

This one is Pooh:

and Carol's Spanish Dancer:

A small pompom, no name

and a bee friendly one

:    
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • doublyjonah, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Lovely (and the weeds!) - are they in the ground all year round?
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(27-07-2020, 10:34 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Lovely (and the weeds!) - are they in the ground all year round?

No I generally dig them up nd put them on a piece of cardboard in a shed over winter. Then, probably March, put them in crates in a GH till they sprout and I can get round to planting them out. They were very late out this year but coming on now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Scarlet

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Another flower from one tuber that has produced everything from almost entirely pink to a more normal mix of the two and now this one that is almost all cream!

[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Was it definitely a tuber or did you save seed? I've saved seed from some plants and I'm getting some very unusual flowers on some. I'm being a real nerd and can't wait for the flowers to open Smile

This is Jowey Mirella. I love this one. I think it may be my all time favourite.
The blooms are about 3inch wide. Deep burgundy and I think due to the weather my plants are about 4ft tall.

[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Just one in a pot a couple of years ago and they've always been a range from mostly cream with pink stripes to mostly pink with cream stripes. I've taken cuttings so wonder what they'll bring?
Mirella is lovely - what a stunning colour!

[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
This is from self saved seed Big Grin it's bizarre. Every flower has 2 pale pink petals - I took the seed from Bishop of Canterbury. It has that pink colour but the blooms are much bigger although the foliage is green/not dark like the bishops. The stems are bi colour/ half green/half dark.  I will definitely try to look after this tuber - I love its quirky look.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • PyreneesPlot

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
This one is Wine Eyed Jill. 
Taken today in the rain.

This pink ball is Sandra. I added this one this year and I'm hoping that the tuber has put on lots of growth so I can split it next year. The plant is huge and the bloom are on very strong stems...it's a beautiful colour too and goes really well in a bunch of flowers Smile

• Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I may never save dahlia seed again - some flowers have been bizarre with other being strange muddy/streaky colours.

This one came straight out of a kids colouring book!!
  • PyreneesPlot

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
This ball dahlia is a winner for me!

Jowey Winnie 
A beautiful pink with very strong stems. Lasts ages when cut for the vase. I will grow more of this. Though this year as I've cut more flowers for indoors I am favouring the ball types as they keep for so long.

[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Norfolk Grey, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie