Perennial Veg?
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Before anyone gets too carried away with the idea of growing perennial veg (as I did) here's a reality check. 

They are not a true replacement for their annual counterparts. 

If you want decent size onions for cooking, you need to grow annual ones from seed or set. Perennial onions will give you something the size of an individual garlic clove - if you're lucky! Yes, they come back year after year, but don't expect great yields.
If you want an onion flavour, some of the bunching onions (look like spring onions) will multiply and you can pull individual salad onions from the bunch.

5/9 Star perennial caulis are big plants and grow like sprouting broccoli. After a year or 2 they're big and sprawling. The heads are like a cross between baby caulis and sprouting broccoli. Don't expect multiple big caulis from them, you'll be disappointed.

I grow Babington (perennial) leeks because they're rare and grow in only a few places in the wild (including Flat Holm island that I know well). I don't want to eat them as I'm more interested in building up a stock of plants.
If you want to grow "perennial" leeks its much easier to replant the bottom inch or so from the root end of an annual leek and let it regrow. 

Perennial kales are the one veg that I think is a worthwhile replacement for annual brassicas. You can pick leaves from them all year round and the plant doesn't seem to suffer. 
Since I treat all kales as perennials, I've no idea which ones I'm growing.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, mcdood, Vinny

Broadway Offline
(11-06-2020, 05:34 PM)Veggie Wrote: Before anyone gets too carried away with the idea of growing perennial veg (as I did) here's a reality check. 

They are not a true replacement for their annual counterparts. 

If you want decent size onions for cooking, you need to grow annual ones from seed or set. Perennial onions will give you something the size of an individual garlic clove - if you're lucky! Yes, they come back year after year, but don't expect great yields.
If you want an onion flavour, some of the bunching onions (look like spring onions) will multiply and you can pull individual salad onions from the bunch.

5/9 Star perennial caulis are big plants and grow like sprouting broccoli. After a year or 2 they're big and sprawling. The heads are like a cross between baby caulis and sprouting broccoli. Don't expect multiple big caulis from them, you'll be disappointed.

I grow Babington (perennial) leeks because they're rare and grow in only a few places in the wild (including Flat Holm island that I know well). I don't want to eat them as I'm more interested in building up a stock of plants.
If you want to grow "perennial" leeks its much easier to replant the bottom inch or so from the root end of an annual leek and let it regrow. 

Perennial kales are the one veg that I think is a worthwhile replacement for annual brassicas. You can pick leaves from them all year round and the plant doesn't seem to suffer. 
Since I treat all kales as perennials, I've no idea which ones I'm growing.
Hiya Veggie

Fair point and yes I’m not naïve enough to think these replace annual veg.

That said if I can have a few areas/beds set aside for these I’m willing to give them a trySmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
That's OK then, Danny. Smile
These plants cost real money to buy and take time to establish themselves. They're not a quick fix but for the long term. I've seen too many disappointed people who think they are a magic solution - plant these and you'll never have to buy another plant/packet of seed or work your plot again.
Fruit bushes and trees, perennial herbs and rhubarb, kale, maybe asparagus, are the perennials that I think are worth growing. I've tried many other "perennial" veg but most of them I wouldn't bother with again.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Broadway Offline
(11-06-2020, 06:45 PM)Veggie Wrote: That's OK then, Danny. Smile
These plants cost real money to buy and take time to establish themselves. They're not a quick fix but for the long term. I've seen too many disappointed people who think they are a magic solution - plant these and you'll never have to buy another plant/packet of seed or work your plot again.
Fruit bushes and trees, perennial herbs and rhubarb, kale, maybe asparagus, are the perennials that I think are worth growing. I've tried many other "perennial" veg but most of them I wouldn't bother with again.
If I can last as long as a 5 year perennial I'll be happy Veggie.

I agree regards Rhubarb, Kale, and Asparagus and also intend to give 3 - 4 more a goSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
The perennial kale that I bought was extortionately priced, but it's something I've wanted for quite some time and just not been wanting to spend that before.

I have parsley growing as a perennial in a shady spot - never had parsley so happy before, ever!

Rhubarb too - I wouldn't be without it Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Lots of plants are happy self-seeders - including parsley.
I leave a few plants unpicked to go to seed and sow themselves - including kale, leeks, parsnip, parsley, rocket, lettuce, Oriental leaves, landcress, lovage, chives, carrots - and that's just the veg - plenty of flowers too, of course!
Its easy but not for the tidy gardener!!
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Thelma Sanderson, Vinny

Thelma Sanderson Offline
Love the perennial caulis, a huge harvest this spring Smile
After the harvest I cut them back a bit, but they haven't made any new growth - have I, or the drought, killed them? Or do they take a while to recover after all that effort?
[-] The following 2 users Like Thelma Sanderson's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’m growing perennial sprouts.
Well the stump I left in the ground is growing again. If I’ll get sprouts from it is a different thing all together!

Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Whatever you get, it'll be a source of "greens"!
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(27-05-2021, 09:38 PM)Veggie Wrote: Whatever you get, it'll be a source of "greens"!
And you can’t beat Cauli greens Smile
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Veggie