Perennial Veg?
Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
Yacon. Hasn't been mentioned and is one a like. A little faffy to over winter but the edible tubers are nice but they come at the time of year when you want hot food and I never did find a good way to do them hot.

Others that haven't been mentioned:-
Oca - not for me but know quite a few people that love them. I found it prone to slugs as well.
Ulloco - meant to be similar to oca - I tried growing them once and failed miserably so don't know.
chinese artichoke - I like them but I found they gave such a small crop so no longer grow them.
Melon pear/ pepino - I remember growing it from seed, one plant fruiting well in the second or third year and liking the fruit but for some reason I stopped growing and overwintering the plant - no idea why. Cheap plants did turn up one year in Lidl I think so might be worth keeping an eye out for.

In regard to perennial kale make sure you take cuttings as they can be short lived perennial ( 3-5 years). The variegated (I doubt you will find them easily but just incase) are not as hardy as there green siblings. I found that Tauton Deane was sweeter than Daubenton.

I do love my fartichokes though. Not masses on my plate at a time but they are so easy to grow. Be careful where you through the soil when you dig them up as they will spread easily, Mine have been in the same spot 10 years and haven't spread. They also have pretty little sunflower like flowers.
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 3 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
^^^ Not tried yacon or ulluco - they just don't tempt me.
I have Oca and I lift the occasional tuber but not a great fan.
Chinese Artichokes give me the creeps - they look like fat maggots and don't tempt me at all ..............but I have a great clump of them now!
JA's - no way. Don't like the after effect. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Norfolk Grey

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
^^^ that sorts me out then  Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
NG, your perennial onions are thriving Big Grin
Thinking about it, I'm not a fan of growing any root crops but seem to have more success with "above ground" crops where I can see what's happening and browse , rather than dig up blindly, hoping for something edible below ground. Does that make sense? Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Norfolk Grey

Baldy Offline
(01-03-2022, 11:33 AM)Veggie Wrote: NG, your perennial onions are thriving Big Grin
Thinking about it, I'm not a fan of growing any root crops but seem to have more success with "above ground" crops where I can see what's happening and browse , rather than dig up blindly, hoping for something edible below ground. Does that make sense? Big Grin
nah...
[-] The following 3 users Like Baldy's post:
  • Norfolk Grey, SarrissUK, Veggie

Baldy Offline
globe fartichokes and rhubarb... tough enough to survive my 'skills'
many of the others, oca for example, were described to me as 'famine foods'
[-] The following 2 users Like Baldy's post:
  • Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(01-03-2022, 07:49 PM)Baldy Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 11:33 AM)Veggie Wrote: NG, your perennial onions are thriving Big Grin
nah...
Good to see you're still being rude to me, Baldy. Tongue
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Baldy, Norfolk Grey, SarrissUK

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
I had forgotten all about everlasting onions. Must get them back in the patch and bulked up (I think I have two stragglers - fingers crossed)