Clematis query
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
There's a fabulous climbing hydrangea?
I have Montana clematis in shade that does amazingly - how much space have you got? You can hack those back.
How much shade is it and when? Would it be too shady for a rose? Some do suit shade?

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
If you want another clematis - I love this one. It's vigorous for me..but as it's a viticella you can hack it back when it outgrows its space. Group 3 so it gets cut right back every year.

Clematis Luxurians - This is one I have on a shaded wall...but it does get morning sun. I love it. The green fades a bit as the flower ages...I've tried to see if I have a photo of it on the wall but sadly just this close up.

JJB Offline
Moonraker

It's in a alley at our back door.  The alley runs roughly north/south, north at gate end.  RH neighbour's wall faces west. The sun hits the alley about midday for about a couple of hours. Used to have a huge silver queen euonymous until it got ravaged by scale insect and had to go. Could always try that again as I've got some cuttings. A rose sounds nice if it would cope with the shade.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Luxurians looks very pretty, I'll research it.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Look at roses too - it may take longer to thrive but with a couple of hours of afternoon sun it may be a good choice.

I wouldn't choose Paul's Himalayan- I have that and it's huge.
https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/colle...cing-walls
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • JJB

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(19-01-2022, 10:39 AM)JJB Wrote: I shall leave Guernsey Cream to her own devices and hope her buds don't get frosted like last year. I've managed to kill her brother living next door. No sign of life from Ernest Markham, it withered and died during late summerSad. I've left the place untouched just in  case it revives.

My Ernest Markham did the same in 2020. I thought it was quite dead, but up it came again last year - quite late - I think about May. I wondered if it was getting clematis wilt so I've shoveled a good depth of mulch around it this winter to bury its base deeper.

I've had it over 20 years and I grew it originally from a cutting, so I'll take some cuttings of it this year as a precaution.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moth's post:
  • JJB

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(19-01-2022, 02:33 PM)Moth Wrote:
(19-01-2022, 10:39 AM)JJB Wrote: I shall leave Guernsey Cream to her own devices and hope her buds don't get frosted like last year. I've managed to kill her brother living next door. No sign of life from Ernest Markham, it withered and died during late summerSad. I've left the place untouched just in  case it revives.

My Ernest Markham did the same in 2020. I thought it was quite dead, but up it came again last year - quite late - I think about May. I wondered if it was getting clematis wilt so I've shoveled a good depth of mulch around it this winter to bury its base deeper.

I've had it over 20 years and I grew it originally from a cutting, so I'll take some cuttings of it this year as a precaution.
Never had much luck taking clematis cuttings? What the trick?

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(19-01-2022, 06:01 PM)Scarlet Wrote: Never had much luck taking clematis cuttings? What the trick?

In late summer I take 8" lengths of semi-ripe stem, (maybe 3 pairs of leaves), and trim off all but the top two leaves. I leave about an inch of stem below the bottom leaf nodes and put the cuttings round the edge of a pot filled with J.Innes No 1 compost, sinking the bottom leaf nodes below the soil. Water them in, tie up in a poly bag, and leave in a warm place ( no GH so I generally bring them onto a shady windowsill). I usually put 5 or 6 to a six inch pot, and if I'm lucky one or two grow in each.

I shall try spring cuttings this year as it died back early last year.

I may try root cuttings as well - I had a macropetala that regrew from a broken piece of root when I moved it, so worth a go.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet